Discuss 25mm tails maintenance free joint in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Surely its just common sense?

Without knowing the precise circumstances behind the introduction of the Regulation it would be difficult to guess precisely as to its intent.

There are commonly held views on this Regulation, but that isn't necessarily to state that it is the correct view. It will always be a matter of opinion without further clarificaftion.

Without knowing the precise circumstances behind the introduction of the Regulation it would be difficult to guess precisely as to its intent.

There are commonly held views on this Regulation, but that isn't necessarily to state that it is the correct view. It will always be a matter of opinion without further clarificaftion.

BS7671 seems like an endless minefield of different opinions to be honest.

IMHO if you have to cause disruption like lifting carpets and floorboards then it is not accessible. Each to their own though i suppose. :)

The intent of the regulation is quite clear, that a connection that does not fall under the exceptions listed is available for future inspection, testing and maintenance so that the system may be maintained in a safe condition in line with the requirements of the EAWR.

The regulations are so clear that there are a proliferation of books and guidance notes with other peoples opinions that cloud the problem even more.
In the regs, one edition it's correct the next it's not. You could not make it up.

I would assume the term accessible within our industry would refer to the common practices done to inspect and test a property, as a whole, ripping carpets up and pulling boards up wouldn't be carried out on such an inspection so any joint that wouldn't be expected to be checked, would in my mind be classed as inaccessible, I would expect any sparky worth his salt to stick his head in the loft and check for joints etc unless its boarded out then they should be MF.

This is my opinion and based on common sense of joints that are unlikely to be checked during a routine inspection report so any chances of obvious issues that could be spotted with a visual but not picked up by testing is reduced with the use of MF joints.

Last edited:
Think about it though, if done correctly with 100a single pole blocks each conductor could be under 4 brass screws, with all those properly tightened and the blocks within an enclosure I honestly can't see a problem.

Think about it though, if done correctly with 100a single pole blocks each conductor could be under 4 brass screws, with all those properly tightened and the blocks within an enclosure I honestly can't see a problem.

In reality probably not - are you going to put your name on the paperwork then? :) Daz

The problem with standard screw terminals is the cable is subject to creep when they are first tightened, this is due to the copper shaping and equalising the stresses after tightening, this can leave the termination more susceptible to loosening with temperature variations and/or vibration over time.
It can effect larger core cables more so thus it is recommended to check all your dist' board connections at the end of the job, chances are you will find the tails need a tweak.
Other issues are cable movement which may act on the termination, if cables are clamped then not an issue. When you use MF connections or crimps then alot of these issues are reduced to a minimum thus considered safe to terminate and forget.

It's funny but I've always been a bit wary of crimps, just me I suppose. :)

Depends how you do them. I have always been a bit suspect of indent crimpers. There is too much margin for error when manually setting them and I believe the indent method puts too much stress on the crimp sleeve.

I have complete faith in a crimp made with the correct hexagon die in a decent tool though.

If it was an EICR I'd put it as a code 3 with a comment Daz, I'd always use continuous lengths of tails on a new install though so the question doesn't apply in that scenario. :p

how on earth would you know the connection is under the carpet, under the floor boards??

I'd be VERY impressed if you can spot a totally CONCEALED connection is such a location when doing an EICR!

It's funny but I've always been a bit wary of crimps, just me I suppose. :)

If you own a budget £1 market crimper then I would just be as weary, if your crimper isn't subject to calibration or you have a set that doesn't require it then again I wouldn't consider them reliable. At a minimum you should be looking for a ratchet crimper for your standard insulated red,yellow,blue crimp lugs and small ratchet indent crimper for your uninsulated say 10 -16mm up to 25mm.

Last edited:

Reply to 25mm tails maintenance free joint in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net