Discuss 2gang light switch, one of the gangs only switches on one light when the other is on in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
My friends garage has power to it from his house via SWA, he has sockets, and a 2 way lighting circuit. The lighting circuit at one end of the garge is a double gang 2 way switch, one switch controls the outside light on the exterior of the garage, the other switch on the 2 gang controls the light in the garage. Now the other switch at the other end of garage is a 1 gang 1 way switch controling the same light. This was done by a qualified electrician

Now my friend has asked me to add another light he knows I'm training at college and I'm doing very well andwanted some practical experience actually on site instead of on the college boards. It's the same principle obviously but when Doing it on a propery it's different because of distances etc, but anyway

i added an extra light and changed the 1 gang 2 way light switch to a 2 gang 2 way so the the new light can be switch on independently by one of the switches.

I did this this all fine, but the only problem is the new light will only switch on and off when the first gang switch is on.
on the 2 gang switch behind obviously I connected the existing circuit to one of the gangs exactly how it was on the 1 gang 2 way switch, the other gang I connected to my new light as a one way method using T+E 1.5mm2 but as I said before it doesn't work unless the other switch is on.

should I have linked a piece of cable from the common to the other common at the side of it on the 2 gang, or from the L1 to the common So I can use the other light without switching the first switch

i know it would of been easier to do it so all the lights come on at the same time but I wanted to do it this way for experience

Thanks

Re: 2gang light switch, one of the gangs only switches on one light when the other is

The switches are wired wrongly. Think about 3 plate wiring for the new light, then take the 3 plate wiring which would normally at the fitting and transpose it to the switch position.

Re: 2gang light switch, one of the gangs only switches on one light when the other is

sounds like the first switch is operating the power to the next switch rather than it operating independently? can you use a connector block to take power from the first switch to the switch operating the new light? I'm also in college so dont take my word for it... trying to help best i can

Kev, the power to the next switch has been taken from the wrong terminal on the first switch, that's why it's only working when the first switch is operated. There's no need for a connector block.
He needs to just simply take it to bits again, figure out what is what then put it back together. A little bit of thought and this will work.

aha cheers :) just a bit of fiddling with the wires and it'll be sound then :)

aha cheers :) just a bit of fiddling with the wires and it'll be sound then :)
Sounds to me like he's fed sw 2 from the wrong terminal on sw 1. IE a terminal that only becomes live when the switch is operated, if he finds the perm live at sw 1 then the jobs a goodun.
This was a mistake I made when I was serving my time. I only made it once because I got a clip round the ear for buggering it up. It's funny how a bit of violence focuses your attention and retention :)

Thanks for the reply people, that's what happened, sw2 only turns off and on when sw1 is on
when sw1 is off sw2 will not operate

this is from the 2gang switch

This woulda been a good puzzle for the trainees haha :yesnod: or atleast a trainee as new as me

Depending on how the two-way switching was wired originally there may not be a permanent live at the switch you have altered.

Yes I like to make diagrams to follow but my diagram was obviously wrong lol

Ah, but spot where you went wrong, make corrections, and you'll remember it longer and with more clarity than trying to work it out in your head.
Works for me anyway! :)

Ah, but spot where you went wrong, make corrections, and you'll remember it longer and with more clarity than trying to work it out in your head.
Works for me anyway! :)
yes your right that's why I'm asking for a bit of advice, on the 2 gang switch I turned one of the switches to a one was circuit using loop method

Loop at the switch?
If so, continue to use that method.
Pencil and paper Dan, draw it out and it will all make sense. And it will work when you get it right on paper and reproduce it at the switch.
Trust me, I'm an old curmudgeon :)

yes your right that's why I'm asking for a bit of advice, on the 2 gang switch I turned one of the switches to a one was circuit using loop method

I haven't got pen and paper at hand, so I can't advise! :)
(seriously)

Now my friend has asked me to add another light he knows I'm training at college and I'm doing very well andwanted some practical experience
Thanks

I'm sure it will all become clear and the end of the 5th week.

sorry couldnt resist. Some good advice here. And nice to see some help rather than belittling of less experienced.

Reply to 2gang light switch, one of the gangs only switches on one light when the other is on in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net