Discuss 2volts on a disconnected cable?!? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I've recently been sent to complete a re wire for another contractor and there is a cable which isn't connected to the consumer unit which shows 2volts on it! is there a reason for this? I'd it potentially dangerous? How can I correct it? It's on one leg off the ring main in the kitchen. Any information would be appreciated I've tested it with my digital multi meter and done a insulation resistance test on IT also which shows its all fine.

I've recently been sent to complete a re wire for another contractor and there is a cable which isn't connected to the consumer unit which shows 2volts on it! is there a reason for this? I'd it potentially dangerous? How can I correct it? It's on one leg off the ring main in the kitchen. Any information would be appreciated I've tested it with my digital multi meter and done a insulation resistance test on IT also which shows its all fine.

I had this once, completely dead cable with no connections, cable was slightly damp with it not being used for donkeys so put it down to corrosion on conductors becoming acidic and generating slight voltage, could of been wrong but no other reason for it

Yeah I thought it could be damp as the house is a shell but the cable is new and was roughly put in about 3weeks ago?

Inductance - ... run any unshielded cable alongside a live cable and you will induce a voltage ...At 2v I think your overthinking this one tbh.

It's just something I've never seen before and as its my first job on my own I'm paranoid o get everything spot on. So basically I'm just getting a induced voltage off another cable? And seem as its only 2volts this won't cause any problems?

Stick a 9v battery on your tongue and then realise what 2v will achieve ... think SELV and what the voltages are when classed as SELV/PELV, we all been there so just push this worry aside and move on to 'have you tightened the terminal correctly' ;)

my now dead grandma had an old radio that had a drycell battery
and a 4 pin plug
one side was 87 and a half volts tother was 3 volts for the heaters in the valves
quess who stuck his tounge on the old so called flat battery terminals
ME
never did that again

Simo,presuming you are capable of safe practice,get yourself a roll of t&e,identify and open conductors at BOTH ends. Connect L and N at one end. Measure voltage at other end L/N. Now measure voltage cpc/N. If possible,measure again using a REAL meter. The difference between the results should tell you two things,one regarding the phenomenon,one regarding testing apparatus. Do not be seduced by readings on MFT's giving you the FULL story...seen a bus with "Kelloggs" wrote on the side....but it wasn't full of cornflakes...:conehead: Not having a pop,my friend,but have a play.Stay safe,but have a play

Don't use a multimeter to test for isolation/voltage.
Use an approved voltage indicator.

Well that's 30secs of my life reading this thread that I'm unlikely to get back again. Jeez.

Reply to 2volts on a disconnected cable?!? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock