Discuss 2way switching and intermediate conundrum in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

egginyourface

Good evening all

im in a bit of a pickle. I've wired 2way switching that controls 4 sets of lights from 4 different points. Basically 4g switch on each floor.

ive some how really confused myself. I'm having to change some of the modules as intermediate works out in different location for one of the lights.

I will take one switch as a example. The first switch arrangement over each floor is 2way-intermediate-2way-intermediate

Can a intermediate be the last switch? For some reason I've had it in my head that first and last should be a 2 way switch....

in the 7 years I've been in this game I've never had to so anything like this...

advice would be appreciated

that's how i've always don it, but you can wire the L and S/L into the strappers anywhere on the switching arrangement and it will still work.

Sorry for the silly question but just to make this clear, I've only ever done 2way > intermediate> 2way.

what happens when you have 2way>intermediate>2way>intermediate

do you just wire L1 and L2 strapper as normal and leave the common in connector block? I'm thinking about rigging up a four switches and see. I thought the first and last switch should be a 2 way switch

Ahhhhhhh, THanks

seems such a silly question but thought it was the other way around. Just couldn't get my head around it.

i was going to rig up a few switches and do a dead test.

Ahhhhhhh, THanks

seems such a silly question but thought it was the other way around. Just couldn't get my head around it.

i was going to rig up a few switches and do a dead test.

I had a similar issue with not being able to get my head around it, so I had a little play about with the switches, some bits of wire, a multimeter, and a pencil & bit of paper on the kitchen table.

Sorted it!! :)

Then found some diagrams somewhere on here showing exactly how to do it. (courtesy of Tony I think)

Just remember that if you are switching four gang switches for a lot of different locations there can be times when you find that you have an intermediate where you expected a two way, so wire the intermediate as a two way switch (just use only 3 of the terminals), this is more of a solution when not using grid switches and you have a twin intermediate switch but one of them needs to be 2 way.

Ha knew I had a pretty picture somewhere
Intermediate as two way.jpg
3 wire with intermediates.jpg

I had a similar issue with not being able to get my head around it, so I had a little play about with the switches, some bits of wire, a multimeter, and a pencil & bit of paper on the kitchen table.

Sorted it!! :)

Then found some diagrams somewhere on here showing exactly how to do it. (courtesy of Tony I think)

I once had an argument with a Electrical Trainee on here about the number of intermediates that could be incorporated. I got very bored and very drunk by the time I’d copy and pasted 50 switches.

The number of switches is infinite, volt drop may be a bit of a problem though. Hence a question on the other channel.

Reply to 2way switching and intermediate conundrum in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net