Discuss 3.5mm machine socket screws in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

guys this is indeed a wind up ahahahahahahaahahahahah
Classic case of back peddling - was serious to begin but realised the mistake so it turns to a wind up!
There are newbies that think they can do socket screws up with impacts or electric screwdrivers, I had to convince a new mate that doing it that way was asking for trouble. You need to feel the screw in the thread, knowing when it feels good or bad, when it cross threads and when you need to start it all over again. Of course using an impact makes it very difficult to leave the slots at 3 and 9 o’clock - let the battle begin!

Horizontal so it looks like they are smiling at you - happy sockets!
@Dave OCD HELP!
When I went on myfirst job with my last outfit about 1991, the job wasn't difficult, just different, I was fitting some switches in a length of 4 by 2 PVC trunking, I could feel the team leader looking over my shoulder, an d he said " so and so doesn't fit the screws like that" I had just done the screws up as and when they became tight, to cut the story short this bloke had a thing about leaving theslots veryical. So to please him and to make a point I left them at an angle of 45deg, he wasn't a happy chappy, but soon learnt not to be so picky.

Last edited:
When I went on myfirst job with my last outfit about 1991, the job wasn't difficult, just different, I was fitting some switches in a length of 4 by 2 PVC trunking, I could feel the team leader looking over my shoulder, an d he said " so and so doesn't fit the screws like that" I had just done the screws up as and when they became tight, to cut the story short this bloke had a thing about leaving theslots veryical. So to please him and to make a point I left them at an angle of 45deg, he wasn't a happy chappy, but soon learnt not to be so picky.

left screw @ 20 t0 2. right screw @ 10 to 4. then water will run to the sides of the socket and not straight down.

Seems to be a lot of talk of water on this fictitious install of ours - are we IP rating our made up accessories I wonder?
left screw @ 20 t0 2. right screw @ 10 to 4. then water will run to the sides of the socket and not straight down.

Reply to 3.5mm machine socket screws in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net