Discuss 3 gang switch in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sim22

Little project to start the new year off, looks like I'm going to have to change a 3 gang light switch which controls front room light (area around switch is crumbling ),outside light + porch light.
All sounds pretty straight forward apart from the fact that one switch has never worked since we moved in to house,operates porch or outside light ( need to investigate which ) best guess is outside light cos it looks pretty grotty.

Any advice on best way to proceed ?

I am not qualified but also not a complete novice ( half way through 2330 year 2 ) but understand the reasons for doing things properly + safe.

Before you change the light switch that's already there test to see if that's where the problem is first. Also make sure you carry out & prove SAFE ISOLATION before working on the wiring.

Before you change the light switch that's already there test to see if that's where the problem is first. Also make sure you carry out & prove SAFE ISOLATION before working on the wiring.

there is a problem or problem or problems with the switch, one has never operated (will not move), one works fine + one is connected to the porch light, yet to be tested

OK see why you need to change the switch, but please make sure you do it safely. If you're not sure how to do that, then we're here to help.

When you take switch off wall be gentle as wires can slip out.Could be a pain finding where they go.Especially as you are new to game

Hello,
Get Colin reed round from Sheilds, here he is the boy to sort this problem for you m8.

Can't cos its not on the roof lol so solar colin is no good

but feel free to come round + assist, then when I cock it up it'll be your fault for not stopping me :hammer:
:46:

gonna speak to neil next week see if we can make it a field trip

If I don't speak to you before have Happy New Year:party: + try not to get too bladdered :54:

DS will sort it!

As mentioned, label all conductors and refit accordingly.

Remember different makes of switch lable com/l1/l2/l3 differently and put them in different places on the switch.

Progress made, porch light working after a bit of messing about, just switch + knackered outside light to replace now.
Will report back if still alive when finished :46:

Reply to 3 gang switch in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net