Discuss 3 new all-electric apartments in hotel - advice please in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Somerset-UK

Good Morning Guys

We are building 3 x 1-bed flats in an old bar within our hotel.

Studwork has gone up and we are ready to first-fix electric cables etc.

Of course, our 2 prefered electricians have both vanished on a 2-week holiday so we are a little stuck.

Their advice was "you can run the cables and lighting and we will check, connect and sign-off when we get back".

That worked fine on a small reception area we had built but this new stuff is a LOT more complex - involving 3 new CU, coin meters and high power instant water heaters.

So, would anyone be able to offer some advice please - I have attached several photos.

There are some photos showing the 3-phase coming in - with two CU (the bottom is not used now). However, whilst the main 3-phase box can stay (it will be inside a cupboard within one of the flats), we need to move ALL of the CUs so we can access them without disturbing guests.

I'm unsure what size cables to run from where to where?

Should we put 3 sub mains next to the main 3-phase and then a CU next to the coin box? how does the coin box wire in?

OF COURSE - if any of you fully qualified chaps fancy the job, then kindly PM me. We are at TA8 near Sedgemoor Services M5

The issue I have is that we can run the cables very easily if we know where to run what - but I do need the connections and cert ASAP.

3 new all-electric apartments in hotel - advice please 20180817_085227[1] - EletriciansForums.net

3 new all-electric apartments in hotel - advice please 20180817_085234[1] - EletriciansForums.net

3 new all-electric apartments in hotel - advice please 20180817_085620[1] - EletriciansForums.net

our 2 prefered electricians have both vanished on a 2-week holiday so we are a little stuck.

Their advice was "you can run the cables and lighting and we will check, connect and sign-off when we get back
now where do it start on this ,my advice is either employ another sparks to help you near to you .
or wait till the said sparks come off holidays
leaven you to start the job I no good considering you are not a spark .but you are asking us for to much information
but some one on the forum might take you up in the offer .

These pictures don’t really help all you need is a picture of the main incoming fuses at headend and I do think two weeks ain’t long to wait for your spark to come back in most cases you always have to crawl back to the electricians you regularly use because the temp electrician disappears and doesn’t Finish leaving a jumble of cables hanging all needing to be sorted

Last edited:
Your not trying to do this installation yourself are you???!!! because giving non electrical people advice on an installation like this one is not something I personally am not willing to do,it's just not done, bad news ans dangerous, any decent Electrician wouldn't contemplate signing work off he has not been personally involved in.

Welcome to the forum @Somerset-UK .
You are probably not happy with the replies above but I have to agree with them.
Email the link of this thread to your electricians and get them to reply. They are putting their name on the cert so it should be down to them to design the circuits.
Or, wait till they get back from holiday...

You have no choice but to get a spark in to say what goes where. Whatever you do it is going to be wrong and you will have to redo it. On an extension the builders went ahead and laid in wires and had to lift of part of the roof to get cables in which they had forgotten.

Hey Chaps - I really do appreciate your comments.

I can confirm that we have ZERO intention of doing this ourselves OTHER THAN running cables where we can from point A to point B.

The cables would still be visible to the sparky when they get back from their jollies.

IF point A to point B needs 2.5mm T&E then its an easy run to make and will provide work for a couple of guys on-site and reduce - what is often boring and time-consuming work - for the electrician.

I probably went into too much detail in my OP which suggested we were doing it - I struggle to turn on the kettle so it wont be happening lol

As I said, if anyone has a few days spare next week and is looking for some first-fix work and consultancy, kindly get in touch.

If all you intend doing is running the cables then why bother ? To be honest this isn't going to save the sparkies any real time as they should still be checking them if they are going to sign it off. If it will all be visible then the time they take checking your work would be better spent just running the cables in themselves. Save your self the bother you will be paying them anyway.

IF point A to point B needs 2.5mm T&E then its an easy run to make and will provide work for a couple of guys on-site and reduce - what is often boring and time-consuming work - for the electrician.

Unless the people installing the cables have a good knowledge of the regulations and accepted practice they will almost certainly get it wrong and end up wasting materials, time and money.

Running cables is neither boring not especially time consuming, however that is an often used phrase when people are looking for ways to cut costs and corners on a job.

I have a feeling the incoming supply will need upgrading to facilitate the additional loading - the existing main switch is rated at 63 amps and each new flat will need the equivalent of an additional domestic supply on top of the existing requirements at the hotel.

running and dressing cables isnt boring or tedious, i quite enjoy new builds, knowing that if any future works is carried out that the sparky will say " thank you the sparky before me who made my job easier" , i imagine that if you run the cables yourself it will be as the crow flies and not supported anywhere, cables too short etc because its been cut as the crow flies

2 farmers ran their own twin and earth for their very large shed lighting, each light was a 60w bulkhead, (barely worth having in a shed this size)

cables hanging from light to light, joints in the cable in just connector blocks, buried under layers of pigeon ----

i condemned it and disconnected it, instead of signing off their terrible attempt at a relatively simple job

Reply to 3 new all-electric apartments in hotel - advice please in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock