Discuss 3 or 4 Pole main incomer? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
When ordering a 3 phase + Neutral DB, I forgot to specify that I wanted a 4 pole switch for the main incomer. What came was a 3 pole main switch with neutral link.

My question is why would you opt to use a 3 pole and neutral link instead of a 4 pole switch? Surely a 4 pole switch is always safer as completely isolating equipment from all live conductors (I.e any feedback etc) to work on?

I am newly qualified, I can’t see anything specific about this in the 18th edition so am keen on the reasons why you would choose one over the other.

Cheers

You can use a 3 pole switch on a TN system with a neutral link. If it is TT then you need to use a 4 pole switch. Don’t have a regs book to hand but it used to be in section 537.

Back in the day when I used to be on the tools the sub boards were Merlin boards which were 3phase,
They all had 3pole switches with a neutral link, but Im sure in the main switch panel, the main switch would be a 4pole ACB,
This would have been a Tesco store done in the late 90s

With a TN system there is no need to disconnect the neutral to achieve a safe isolation because the neutral is reliably connected to earth. By having the neutral switched at the main switch you introduce the possibility that the neutral contacts could fail and cause all sorts of problems so it is generally thought to be better to avoid adding an unnecessary potential point of failure.
Where there is a need for the neutral to be switched to avoid danger then it is of course necessary to provide this facility and it becomes a bit if a lesser of two evils situation.

Reply to 3 or 4 Pole main incomer? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello, I'm replacing standard light switches in my hall and landing with touch switches (not smart, just touch on/off) like these from Amazon...
Replies
Views
D
Hi, I have received conflicting advice about Main Isolator Switches and would appreciate forum member's help to plan a way ahead. Looking to the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 155212
D
This weekend I was replacing a hall light fixture in my old home (rewired circa 1980/90's) and noticed the work was done using one of the exposed...
Replies
Views
For context i am in my 2nd year in college and my head is going round in circles a question in my project for which i need to select the right...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Just to be clear, I'm not looking for advice on upgrading but rather just clarification of our existing setup. We need to upgrade the...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock