Discuss 3 Phase 4 wire, Line Harmonics, Common N question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

W

whproject

Theoretically speaking If I have a 3 phase 4 wire supply L1 L2 L3 and N
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]And the 3 hot phases are 120 degrees offset, bar any faults and line harmonics etc, the max load on the common (shared) N, would be that of the heaviest load on a single phase right , EG[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]L1 draws 63a L2 draws 69a and L3 draws 72a (at the same time), the load on the common N, would be 72a right, provided of coarse my 3 live phases are offset by 120 degrees.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]Take this hypothetical scenario, I am using 100a rated wire for the live phases, I want to use the same 100a cable for the common N, problem is, I understand [/FONT]HID[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica] light ballast can create harmonics.
Does this mean the phases degree offset can slightly fluctuate , if so, would it be a dangerous problem when using the amperages mentioned above, to overload a common N, I hear harmonics can cause 150% of the hot load load to return through the N, would the theory be right to think that this would still only mean 150% of 72 amps, (the heaviest load on any hot phase), thus deeming the 100 amp rated wire for the common N not ideal but theoretically safe?

Thanks for your time,
[/FONT]

Without harmonics, the neutral current will be the vector sum of the line currents, so in your example would only be a few amps. Harmonics are multiples of the supply frequency, so e.g. 3rd harmonic is 150Hz, at which freq the phase angle is zero so the currents add. The total neutral current would then be the algebraic sum of the harmonic currents, plus the fundamental as before. You should do the calcs based on the ballasts you are using

Thanks Tony, I can't type those symbols on my mobile, sitting here in the lorry in a quarry.

In = √((Ia²+Ib²+Ic²)-((Ia*Ib)+(Ia*Ic)+(Ib*Ic))) For no harmonics.

That will give you the magnitude but you then you are relying on intuition to know its displacement angle from the line conductors and the sense or direction of flow

From memory
I make the neutral about 8A leading L3 by about 40 deg

or Sqrt((63.cos90+69cos.210+72cos.330)^2 +(63.sin90+69.sin210+72.sin330)^2)

I too am unable to place extended ASCII characters onto the screen without changing the keyboard

I have a Word document I copy and past from. Took a while to build up, I'll send it to you.

Please can you send it to me as well.... You can never have too much info...

As for the harmonic content of the load current, you need to check it on the specific model of ballast in use. The ultimate example of currents summing in the neutral was Strand Electric's first attempt at a thyratron dimmer. To save valves they used 3-pulse rectification so the entire theatre's lighting load was returned as DC in the neutral equal to all three lines added. The cable didn't like it very much, prompting a hasty re-think.

Btw Tony I am drying out wet electronics

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm in a lorry in a quarry - sounds like some sort of Allo Allo sketch Daz

I dont care about the candle with the handle but I could demolish the gateau from the chateau

Reply to 3 Phase 4 wire, Line Harmonics, Common N question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock