Discuss 3 Phase domestic system query in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

EnerG

Hello, hope you guys can shed some light on recent incident.

Recently I installed a heating system to a property in France that consists of a pellet boiler with vacuum feed, solar thermal, UFH etc... The system was all up and running nicely. A few months later , an electrician was working on the circuit board completing some work and he was alerted by another contractor that the room lights had dimmed and there was a noise from the boiler house and a burning smell. It was discovered that the circuit board for the vacuum and a heating controller had burned out. The manufacturer of the product advised that it was due to a power surge.
What could have caused the surge? The electricity supply is 3 phase, could this be the result if 2 of the phases had been accidentally linked to 1 circuit (i.e.) the circuit that the heating appliances were on?

Hope this all makes sense, thanks in advance.

I had a board go on a pellet burner, afterwards I found out the vacuum should be wired through a relay.

Hi, thanks for the comment. In this situation the vacuum is not connected to the boiler. It works independently.

I have another question, since the circuit board of the vacuum has been replaced, both the boiler and the vacuum have been intermittently turning off without any human intervention. If the damage to the circuit board had been caused by the neutral having being disconnected/disturbed causing over-voltage on the phase - Could it also have caused any other damage or shorts on the phase.

Thanks again in advance, comments much appreciated.

Hi,has anyone deduced why the first fault occurred?

You need to know,as your second issue,could be a different symptom,of that existing fault.

I have worked on systems,like your own,where a series of breakdowns,have been attended to,by replacement of the individual components,without investigating any possibility of a cause,upstream.

This is sometimes due to the individual engineer being called in for one part of the system,and him/her,not having time/opportunity/permission,to look at the whole installation.

The addition of different installers for the various bits,and,i may add with a degree of experience,the French location...we have to add the L.U.T factor.

This is a unified and accepted practice,of replacing long and wordy explanations,with a gentle upward movement of both shoulders,simultaneously. ;)

Reply to 3 Phase domestic system query in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock