Discuss 3 phase electric boiler in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Customer has seen this on ebay, wants me to adsvise and then, if bought, install it. not done anything with electric boilers so looking for confirmation that 6.0mm 4 core on a 40A MCB, ref. method C, is about right. I calculate 33A per phase as the load. any thoughts?
ELECTRIC HEATING BOILER ELTERM "LIEUTENANT" 3 PHASES 24kW+ Digital Thermostat | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELECTRIC-HEATING-BOILER-ELTERM-LIEUTENANT-3-PHASES-24kW-Digital-Thermostat/301997800155?epid=1476045497&hash=item465078badb:g:dmQAAOSw5dlZ-kr~

Customer has seen this on ebay, wants me to adsvise and then, if bought, install it. not done anything with electric boilers so looking for confirmation that 6.0mm 4 core on a 40A MCB, ref. method C, is about right. I calculate 33A per phase as the load. any thoughts?
ELECTRIC HEATING BOILER ELTERM "LIEUTENANT" 3 PHASES 24kW+ Digital Thermostat | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELECTRIC-HEATING-BOILER-ELTERM-LIEUTENANT-3-PHASES-24kW-Digital-Thermostat/301997800155?epid=1476045497&hash=item465078badb:g:dmQAAOSw5dlZ-kr~
34.6Amps using 400volts Tel 33.4Amps using 415volts, just a n odd questionTel are the boilers TP&N or just TP as I have worked on boilers that only require TP no Neutral required as the elements were rate at 415volts.

Last edited:
bit in the real world we have 415V. suppose it depends on what voltage the manu. has used to calc. the kW.

it's only a (upstairs) 2 bed flat. but cust. may want to add radiators in the ground floor at a later date. better too big that too small, i reckon.

it's combined premises. the ground floor needs 3 phase for machinery, and it was cost effective to run all 3 phases to upstairs flat, esp. considering that a single phase electric boiler would pull close to the limit of the supply fuse.

it's combined premises. the ground floor needs 3 phase for machinery, and it was cost effective to run all 3 phases to upstairs flat, esp. considering that a single phase electric boiler would pull close to the limit of the supply fuse.
I thought it was, that's going to cost a lot to run, isn't it?Are they going to check the property is well insulated from heat loss?

it's new build, so loads of kingspan in every cavity. thing is, with a boiler this size, heat is generated faster so it's using for less time. same as a 3kW kettle draws more current than a 2kW kettle, but takes less time. cost to heat the water is the same. Kw x t.

it's new build, so loads of kingspan in every cavity. thing is, with a boiler this size, heat is generated faster so it's using for less time. same as a 3kW kettle draws more current than a 2kW kettle, but takes less time. cost to heat the water is the same. Kw x t.
Whenever I have been to properties with electric heating they have always moaned about the cost to use. Are you doing the whole installation Tel?

yep. at the moment there's just a 3 way "garage CU" supplying a double socket for power tools etc. and a 16mm 4 core from suppliers isolator ready to feed 3 phase DB. I'm in there Monday to 1st fix.

Whenever I have been to properties with electric heating they have always moaned about the cost to use. Are you doing the whole installation Tel?
The ones I have visited are usually cold with a portable heater in one room as they can't afford to heat the whole house. I need better situated friends than council house dwellers in Liverpool.......

Reply to 3 phase electric boiler in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net