Discuss 3 phase pottery kiln in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

kilnman

Help please. We have had a three phase pottery kiln (16.08Kw and 22.8 Amps)that has just been connected but would like to double check that the three phase armoured cable is sufficient to handle the load. The 32 meter long cable runs through a roof void resting on mineral wool insulation. The four cables in the armoured cable are 6mm ( we had been told that 10mm would be used). The secondary meter board has a three phase trip rated at 32 Amps and the cable passes though a RCD before the secondary meterboard.
This new cable replaces one that was much thicker which is why we would appreciate a second opinion. Many thanks.:bow:

Last edited by a moderator:
if your load is 22A per phase and the breaker is 32A, that's fine. 6mm is rated at 47A when not enclosed in insulation. a 32A MCB is ideal for the cable and the load.

Thanks for your reply Telectrix. I forgot to mention that the lenth of the armoured cable is about 32 meters long. does this make any great difference?

could do on volt drop. hang on i'll do a quick calc. volt drop will be about 5.75v, so well under the limit. :stooge_curly:

Reply to 3 phase pottery kiln in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello, Looking for some advice following a botched 3 phase upgrade today. Some background: Commercial unit originally fitted out (4 years ago)...
Replies
Views
When I joined this forum a decade or so back, there was a discussion going on about a welder that was connected with a 3-core cable to L1, L2 and...
Replies
Views
I've been asked to price 3 X 7kw showers. There is a three phase board about 40 meters away. Can anyone see an issue with 40 amp three phase MCB...
Replies
Views
Doing some EICR remedials and some blessed things happened today. 1, One of the EICR faults was an IR dead short on a lighting circuit on a 30m...
Replies
Views
L
Hi, i've been asked to change a kiln to 3 phase, not something I do everyday. Would a switch fuse direct from the supply, 10m of armoured cable...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock