Discuss 3 phase regs in proximity to swimming pool in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Deein

-
Reaction score
I have been trawling tge regs looking for clear rega concerning the proximity that a 3 phase mobile device can be installed in a swimmimg pool area.

A client wants a cooking unit installed that has 3x 3kw cooking appliances.
The 3 phase main switches are 32amp each as the incomming feeds are 10mm.
This prevents all 3 devices being installed on a single phase due to over amp demands.
I could run an armoured external to the area providing 3 phase, a phase to each device within the cooking unit.
However i cannot find clear definitions regarding this beung permittable.

The pool had no barrier, the unit is on wheels and client wants 15m flex to allow the device to be moved to diferent areas.
Seeing the pool is within 4m of requested outlet, any thing goes wrong the unit could end up in the middle of the pool.

I want to confirm i cannot do thia job, just want the regs to back up my decesion.

Any help you can offer lol

I have been trawling tge regs looking for clear rega concerning the proximity that a 3 phase mobile device can be installed in a swimmimg pool area.

This prevents all 3 devices being installed on a single phase due to over amp demands.
I could run an armoured external to the area providing 3 phase, a phase to each device within the cooking unit.
However i cannot find clear definitions regarding this beung permittable.

The pool had no barrier, the unit is on wheels and client wants 15m flex to allow the device to be moved to diferent areas.
Seeing the pool is within 4m of requested outlet, any thing goes wrong the unit could end up in the middle of the pool.

I want to confirm i cannot do thia job, just want the regs to back up my decesion.

Any help you can offer lol
Well Mate you have BS7671 s you should know how to navigate your way through it.

Would have thought a risk assessment alone would preclude that being installed anywhere near a swimming pool. I would not install it. The only cooking I could see being done is the people in the pool. Recipe for disaster.

What you are describing I am having trouble making sense of. You seem to be saying three different cooking appliances at 3kw each yes? And they are OCPD device is 32a for what is circa 13a per device?

However i cannot find clear definitions regarding this beung permittable
it would not be advisable to put any appliance's near sources of water especially swimming pools unless it behind a glass wall .

The best you could do would be to install several sockets in the areas they want use of the cooker and fit a very short flex on the cooker.

One cooking trolly.
3 heat devices. Each just under 3kw.
2.6-2.9kw.

The 32amp is on each phase on incomming main protecting the 10mm frim main to consumer unit.

And yes...

I dont want to do the job.

Just want to quote regs to client so he understands and dont get someone shady to install.

Just want to quote regs to client so he understands and dont get someone shady to install.
Well get your copy of the regs out and find ones that back you up then, we aint a free design service on here without some input of what you have done first.

get the bloody thing installed and make sure you add a 4 way extension lead. darwinism will then come into play, but make sure you get paid.
Accident-Waiting.jpg

upload_2018-6-30_21-36-30.jpeg

https://electrical.------.org/media/1706/swimming-pools-no-need-to-make-waves.pdf

and see page 17 of 36 of

https://electrical.------.org/media/1055/2012_42_spring_wiring_matters__complete_adverts.pdf

and table at 2 of 4 of:

https://electrical.------.org/media...special-installations-or-locations-part-1.pdf

There should be some guidance in these (or later IET wiring matters pieces).

I googled 'IET wiring matters swimming' and 'IET wiring matters special locations'.

Last edited:
And here is Guidance Note 7 for special locations:

Guidance Note 7 - Special Locations - https://electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/issues/33/guidance-note-7-special-locations/

Reply to 3 phase regs in proximity to swimming pool in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net