Discuss 3 phase split in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

dave_dsh

Hi guys and gals, just been called by a customer. They currently have three phase to there workshop. They are wanting that supply to feed two seperate buildings, however they only require single phase. Now my question is, aslong as i do my calculations correctly and are able to balance the loads accross all phases, am i able to split that supply to three single phase supplies? bearing in mind that these other units are going to be made into small homes, which are surely going to require atleast 100A supply? which i would of thought would have been better to have got a new supply in from the energy company but none the less i thought id ask and see what my options were to explain to the customer.

Thanks in advance

i dont see a problem as long as you balance the phases. i would also enquire about the nature of these new buildings, ie are they to be sold or rented out. if they are rented out, then install an isolator at the load end of the submain, but before their DB. this solves any probklems regarding acces to isolate ect. how are the supplies being metered?

This very much depends on the existing power requirements of the workshop. If the workshop still requires that 3 phase supply, then depending to what level, will determine to some extent, what is available for the other proposed building changes....

If the workshop no longer requires a 3 phase supply then each building can have a 100A single phase supply, but i doubt very much your going to be able to get any kind of load balance!!!

I am assuming that the original 3 phase DNO supply to the workshop is a 100A supply (ie 100A per phase)??

Reply to 3 phase split in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock