Discuss 3 phase surge protection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

aldo95

-
Reaction score
aldo95EF Member
Hi there. I’m looking for some help on how to wire up a SPD for a 3 phase machine. I’ve been told by the company that supplied the machine that the SPD must not be any further than 10 meters away from the machine. The SPD connections are—- L1 L2 L3 N at the top and earthing terminal at the bottom. I take it you come from the D.B with armour and connect straight into L1 L2 L3 N +Earth then from the same connections with your armour out to the machine? I thought there may have been two sides of connections at the SPD. Any help on how to wire this up would be much appreciated. Thanks

What type of SPD are you using?

Earthing system?

Depending on the type, the SPD should be as close to the incoming source of supply as possible with connections to earth as short as possible.

Check manufacturers instruction as the SPD will more than likely require over current protection.

Have you read the manufacturers instructions?

Is there lightning protection on the building?

Infact re-reading your post, is this a type 3 to protect the machine from surges?

SPD.png

Hi. Thanks for your reply. The SPD I’ve been given is an SPD/T2/tns4p.

I think it’s just to protect the machine from surges and that’s why it’s to be no further than 10m away from the machine.

Easy enough, 4 way enclosure with busbar for the earth connections. As for the earthing conductor it's hard to say without knowing the installation, live conductor sizes etc.

I would consult with the manufacturers but it would be around the 10 - 16mm area.

aldo95EF Member
Hi there. I’m looking for some help on how to wire up a SPD for a 3 phase machine. I’ve been told by the company that supplied the machine that the SPD must not be any further than 10 meters away from the machine. The SPD connections are—- L1 L2 L3 N at the top and earthing terminal at the bottom. I take it you come from the D.B with armour and connect straight into L1 L2 L3 N +Earth then from the same connections with your armour out to the machine? I thought there may have been two sides of connections at the SPD. Any help on how to wire this up would be much appreciated. Thanks
The ones I used were wired directly from the incomer into a suitable fuse arrangement, depending on the size of the SPD of course, and then directly into the SPD earths and phase conductors as short as possible, they were also expendable with indication as to when a surge had been detected, almost always used to protect a complete DB, they may of course been updated since I last used them, an no it wasn't when Mosses was stil alive, for all the comedians out there.

I’m machines supply is coming from a sub D.B. I’m using 16mm 5core armour coming from sub D.B to SPD. Then from SPD to a Tp RCD outdoor industrial socket with isolator on it. Then from industrial socket to the machine. Does this sound right? Thanks again

I’m machines supply is coming from a sub D.B. I’m using 16mm 5core armour coming from sub D.B to SPD. Then from SPD to a Tp RCD outdoor industrial socket with isolator on it. Then from industrial socket to the machine. Does this sound right? Thanks again
Can you scan the instructions pand post them up? or give us detail of the unit so we can google the instructions?

Reply to 3 phase surge protection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net