Discuss 3 phase temporary board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

flattop

Hi,
Hopefully there is someone out there who can put my mind to rest.
I have a new 3 phase supply, meter and mains switch in my french farmhouse, whch I am stuck with, as it is too expensive to change it to a single phase supply.
It is connected to the EDF networkbut not connected to anything in the house, which is to be completely rewired. I want to have 6 new temporary sockets wired up for power tools and a bit of light, nothing very heavy to work with prior to the completion of the rewire

The electrician says that he can run all 6 sockets off one phase, with one monophase rcb (Interrupteur differentielle) and 2 16A trip switches (disjoncteurs)
But I thought the phases had to be balanced??
I want it to be safe and I am a bit worried. Even if you are not aware of the current french regs, perhaps you could answer for a safety point of view.
Many thanks. Jane

for the short term with small loads, it won't matter if the phases are not balanced.

The problem you will have connecting 6 socket to one phase, is that you will unbalance the phases, depending on what your total input is (edf supply) ie 9kva will depend on how much you can draw on each phase. If there is noting connected at the moment get your electrician to put you in a consumer unit that will either have 3 rcds (interrupteur differentials) or one 3phase one and then split the load, you will reuse these when you rewire the property. If you have a small supply then you will be forever running back to the main EDF disjonteur differential to reset it as it will trip out the whole power supply as soon as one phase exceeds it limit, remember the higher amperage power supply you have with edf in france the higher your standing charge.

if you need more advice please feel free to pm me. having lived and worked over there as an electrician for 12 years I am able to give advice that relates to their regs and not UK regs.

Victor, he is talking about a temporary supply to run some power tools and a bit of lighting. From what i can make of the OP this is more for a bit of power during work being carried out on the house, so although he say's 6 sockets, the chances are they aren't going to be loaded to anywhere near a point of tripping.

Surely the employed French electrician would know what he's doing and would be fully aware of the EDF's supply limitations on this install?

If you have a temp supply from EDF then you only have 6 kw which on a 3 phase supply is only 2 kw per phase. Picture yourself working in a house with no lights, so you use a 500 watt halogen floodlight, then you start to use a power tool or two and off goes your power because you have exceeded your 2 kw limit.

Not all French electricians are true trained electricians, many are plumbers but have added the electrical side to their business as an extra. They are allowed to do this by the authorities that goven the setup of businesses (Chambre de Metieres) but many dont really know what they are doing. They think if it have got 230 volts going through it then it is ok.

Answer me why would you unbalance the phases, when it is just as easy to do the job properly in the first place with equipment that you going to use anyway?

EEEK he has done it now. Oh well, will just have to be careful with the loadings. I had a feeling there was a reason it had to be balanced. Thank you for your reply, it was helpful. At least I understand now. Cheers

I would beware if I were you when you come to do the rewire. If the French electrician took this line on the temp supply, then what short cuts will he take on a big job like a rewire?

If you need anymore advice, please do not hesitate to ask.

Regards
Victor

If you have a temp supply from EDF then you only have 6 kw which on a 3 phase supply is only 2 kw per phase. Picture yourself working in a house with no lights, so you use a 500 watt halogen floodlight, then you start to use a power tool or two and off goes your power because you have exceeded your 2 kw limit.

Not all French electricians are true trained electricians, many are plumbers but have added the electrical side to their business as an extra. They are allowed to do this by the authorities that goven the setup of businesses (Chambre de Metieres) but many dont really know what they are doing. They think if it have got 230 volts going through it then it is ok.

Answer me why would you unbalance the phases, when it is just as easy to do the job properly in the first place with equipment that you going to use anyway?

The OP didn't say he had a temporary supply from EDF, he said that he needs a temporary means of supply in the farmhouse from an existing supply while work is being carried out.

Just because you install a 3 phase breaker, doesn't mean you are going to be balancing the phases does it. So what happens when you plug in a kettle and switch on in France, most kettles are far in excess of 2KW, as are many other appliances??

Doesn't sound as if there has been any problems so far with his electricians temporary supply....

It trips out, that is why kettles sold in France are only 800 watts

If that's right, you can understand why wine is their favourite beverage, they'll be waiting forever for the kettle to boil to make a cup of coffee!! lol!! That's less than an average travel kettle...

So you're talking about them having 500W halogen lamps but only 800W kettles, doesn't make much sense to me that... lol!!

Anyway we have no idea what EDF KW supply level this existing farmhouse has, perhaps the OP can enlighten us??

Last edited by a moderator:
the supply is a 3 phase 9KVA. Kettle and eco lamps and power tools on together and have not tripped yet. fingers crossed......

I don't think you have much to worry about to be honest. I mean how long is this temporary in house supply going to be in operation, before you are back on the full supply, ...not long i would think?

Thanks for your reply. We should be back to full supply in about 8 weeks. Lots of other stuff going on in the house.
cheers

Longer than i thought!!

I take it that your electrician isn't a domestic plumber as Victor suggested might be the case??
I can only go on the quality of French electricians i've had experience of on overseas projects, and i can't fault them technically. Not too keen on some of the French installation practices, but then that's French way of doing things....

Reply to 3 phase temporary board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net