Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss 3 Phase testing in the PAT Testing Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Craig2022

Craig2022 Trainee Trainee Access

Hi, so I started a pat testing job in a big factor a couple of days ago, an I raised a question to my boss about if 3 phase equipment will be tested but he was unsure. Am I right to think that it does get tested? If so he has a new seaward pat tester and I wondered if its easy enough to do this and how you would do the test?

2. loplug

loplug Electrician's Arms

seaward do 3 phase test adapters depending on which model you have.And the correct settings are explained in the manual

3. ohreally

ohreally Regular EF Member

4. ohreally

ohreally Regular EF Member

5. Adam W

Adam W Electrician's Arms

It should be tested, but whether or not you're doing the testing depends on what limitations have been agreed with the client.

You'd test it the same way as single phase equipment - connect all live connectors together (including neutral) and test to CPC.

6. spinlondon

spinlondon Trusted Advisor

Is the 3phase equipment portable?

7. Grizzly01

Grizzly01 Regular EF Member

Portable has nothing to do with it. Hasn't for a long time...

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. spinlondon

It does when I’m the one doing the testing.

9. MDJ

MDJ The Muppet Police Trusted Advisor

I thought PAT meant Portable Appliance Testing? so Spinlondons reply IMO was a Justified one.

10. Grizzly01

Grizzly01 Regular EF Member

Indeed it does mean that, but as we should all know by now, it's a hugely outdated term, and certainly shouldn't be used as guidance to whether or not any given item should be subject to inspection & testing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. MDJ

MDJ The Muppet Police Trusted Advisor

There is fixed appliance testing and Portable appliance testing, different things, I do understand both can be part of the same estimate or quotation though.

12. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    None
    Correctamundo my Friend both come under the ISITEE CoP I believe.

• Like Like x 1
  13. spinlondon

I would expect there to be different rates between the two.
    From what Iunderstand, the rate for PAT testing, is something silly like £2.50 per item.
    I would not be testing 3phase equipment for only £2.50.

14. Adam W

Adam W Electrician's Arms

It's actually called In-Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment, and has been for a while now. People still just call it PAT Testing (a misnomer) because it's less of a mouthfull. It's only on places like here where people have coined the term "FAT Testing" (Fixed Appliance Testing) as a separate thing because they just want to go around plugging things into a machine and pushing a button, but in reality that isn't even a thing.

• Like Like x 1
  15. spinlondon

From HSE guidance:
    Portable
    There is no legal definition of portable equipment. However, in this guidance it means equipment that is intended to be connected to a generator or a fixed installation by means of a flexible cable and either a plug and socket or a spur box, or similar means. This includes equipment that is either hand-held or hand-operated while connected to the supply, intended to be moved while connected to the supply, or likely to be moved while connected to the supply.
    12 Extension leads, plugs and sockets, and cord sets that supply portable equipment are classified as portable equipment because they operate in the same environment and are subject to the same use as the equipment they serve. Portable equipment also includes appliances which have been fixed for security purpose such as those in public areas of hotels and changing rooms, eg kettles, hairdryers, hand dryers, lamps etc. The electrical supply to the equipment is assumed to be at a voltage that can give a fatal electrical shock, ie more than 50 V ac or 120 V dc.