Discuss 3 Phase testing in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

It's not just Portable, fixed there is a classification for transportable as well, I would imagine testing fixed and Transportable should be priced accordingly and agreed with the client or the Duty holder in some larger concerns
I didn't think I even used the word 'portable' in the post you quoted.

Why are we all touting stupid things, ISITEE is what it is PATesting is no more, the sooner the factories , super markets, large businesses etc realise this, then we can move on, In Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment, can't be simpler can it? In Service and Electrical Equipment. Power consuming Apparatus, things that consume Electricity, be it single or three phase, it's not fixed wiring, the wiring is there to supply equipment, so lets not call it PAT Testing any more, give it the correct title, perhaps then we wont get people asking questions about PAT testing. If companies, sole traders, bothered to get up to date information, and then decide to read the Latest CoP on ISITEE then we can move on, these larger organisations nee to appoint a Duty holder to organise their equipment, catergorise it, to stop chancers conning them,far to many people, claiming that they have PAT testing qualifications, asking dopey questions, and claiming to be Qualified Electricians.
The larger organisations need to appoint someone as an asset manager, send Him / Her on a course, not to pass a meaninglees exam, but to understand what needs to be done to iron this problem out once and for all, that is until the IET change things again.
I think that as long as the organisation which introduced the law requiring electrical equipment to be maintened and safe to use, continues to use the term PAT, then probably everyone else will as well.
Everyone that is, except for the IET.

I think some people can bang on repeatedly what it should be called but nearly all people and electricians will always know it as PAT testing and when asked /or asking for PAT testing are referring to portable appliances/appliances with a plug on it they know it and so do most/ all electricians. As long as there is a system in place for testing the electrical fixed and unfixed installation is in place and defects are rectified or the item is taken out of service is the intention.

I think some people can bang on repeatedly what it should be called but nearly all people and electricians will always know it as PAT testing and when asked /or asking for PAT testing are referring to portable appliances/appliances with a plug on it they know it and so do most/ all electricians. As long as there is a system in place for testing the electrical fixed and unfixed installation is in place and defects are rectified or the item is taken out of service is the intention.
People and Electricians should get with the program Ant, when I workd efor the PSA, we had a Planned Maintenance program for Power consuming Apparatus testing, so in reality it's not a new thing, this was back in the 1970s. All these needless qualifications/courses have caused nothing but confusion, the Schemes are to blame, in my opinion. They see a niche for a money making ploy, and jump on it, they use the context of a Dommestic issue, when really every factory, commercial business and house holder should get their power consuming stuff tested, perhaps if they had done this, Genfell MAY not have happened, that is an observation on my part only.

The problem with calling it PAT testing is proven by the fact that people think it means portable appliances and testing. Most of the actual requirements on ISITEE are covered by inspection rather than testing. And it isn't just portable equipment.

And not having a plug on does not mean the item shouldn't be tested. People think they can get away with testing appliances by hard-wiring them to an FCU - nope.

Fixed Appliance testing is covered in the "PAT testing" course only superficially, perhaps the IET and the Scams should address this issue, it could be a source of income for people who don't want to do fixed wiring testing.
It's as important as fixed wiring testing, but in my experience ignored or treated as a nuisance factor by most.

People and Electricians should get with the program Ant, when I workd efor the PSA, we had a Planned Maintenance program for Power consuming Apparatus testing, so in reality it's not a new thing, this was back in the 1970s. All these needless qualifications/courses have caused nothing but confusion, the Schemes are to blame, in my opinion. They see a niche for a money making ploy, and jump on it, they use the context of a Dommestic issue, when really every factory, commercial business and house holder should get their power consuming stuff tested, perhaps if they had done this, Genfell MAY not have happened, that is an observation on my part only.
What needless qualifications/courses are they Pete and how are the schemes to blame all I am aware of is one C&G course and exam. I could agree with you but I can't see what fact you are basing it on.

OTE="anthonybragg, post: 1405451, member: 86360"]What needless qualifications/courses are they Pete and how are the schemes to blame all I am aware of is one C&G course and exam. I could agree with you but I can't see what fact you are basing it on.[/QUOTE]
Well to be able to do PAT testing to coin an old phrase, you need to be competent qualified doesn't come into the equation, I realise how you personally feel about the Schemes Ant, and respect your loyalty, but you do the PAT course which ends in a C&Gs qual, which is condoned by the CPS, when in reallity you dnt need it, competence is the key word in this argument, please don't feel this is a personal gripe, you are a Mate, and surley we can disagree, without it becoming personal.

Pete, it's all about being competent and one way to prove that is by qualification.I never take it as a personal gripe from you Pete and defiantly never anything personally I just couldn't see the link between PAT testing and the Schemes involvement not unless the schemes are trying to say you can only do PAT testing if you belong to one of their schemes. I was once a Principle Duty Holder and additional Q.S for a NICEIC Approved Contractor, up until around the timethe the Part P came out and all these Schemes arrived I could see what the aims of the NICEIC Approved Contractor Scheme was about but my view since then has changed for the worst all they can do is remove a contractor from the roll .

The simple reason why I don’t want to lump non-portable and other machinery in with PAT testing, is because of the price.
Most of these PAT testing firms charge some ridiculously low amount for testing an item.
That’s all well and good if the most you have to do is unplug something, then plug it into a tester and press a button.
When you have to start dragging washing machines etc. out from under counters, disconnecting FCUs, opening up panels and the rest it’s another matter.

Try testing a £0.5M CNC machine which is fixed equipment with a "PAT" [sic] tester, or a £10M production line in a factory
I bet that most "PAT testing persons" would not know where to start.
If they did, they could probably cause more damage than they earn in a year, i.e. destroy the controller on the CNC, and perhaps all of them on the line, causing more damage in £ than they would earn in a lifetime!

Reply to 3 Phase testing in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock