Discuss 3 phase upgrade in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Cambstimber

I currently have a 100amp 3 phase supply.

I would like to put in a >300amp supply.

excluding the eclectical work past the Cut out.

can some one please tell me the approx price on an upgrade?

thanks

Welcome to the forum.

You first need to contact the local DNO (network distributor) and enquire about an upgrade, they will send you the necessary paperwork and once complete they will assess it and price for the upgrade, this can take several months from the start to finish and you need to justify all the power requirements including diversity and large inrushes plus the starting duty of such equipment, also you have to ensure you are not creating too much in the way of Harmonics if this may effect your install.

Please not if the spare capacity isn't available then costs can rocket for your own dedicated TX and/or new incommer.. Ive seen these range from 10's of thousands to 100 thou plus.

Thanks

say there is spare capacity...
and all machinery is justified... Ball park figure... ?

This is outside our industry and is subject to many variants, you cannot put a ballpark on it, so many factors like existing arrangement, supply cable size, where the sub-station is located etc etc, also you have to consider your customer will have additional cost like been in a higher tariff band, and your idea that everything is available etc is a possible pipe dream, rarely can you just upgrade the cutout and everything else is good for the increased capacity, well for the extra capacity you are talking, you are asking for triple your requirements and unless you just had a number of factories bulldozed in the immediate area then its likely they may have to tap a new substation off the local HV line.

Last edited:

Reply to 3 phase upgrade in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net