Discuss 3 plate switching in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sparky parky

Hi guys,
I've been a trainee electrician for nearly two years, working only on new builds.
a friend of mine has just moved in to a new house and has asked me to do a few little jobs for him before the plasterer comes in. He wants me to add a security light to the back of his house, however all of his lighting is 3 plate which I've never really had anything to do with.
on his kitchen lighting he has a flourescent with a feed in, feed out + switch line. Is it possible for me to run another feed out of this connection down to a switch by the back door then a switch line out of the switch to a security light?
Any help would be great
adam

If the lighting is three plate then every light fitting (including the fluorescent) will have a permanent line, neutral and earth (and also a switched line).
Therefore from any fitting you can take your permanent L, N , E to either a fitting or a switch (if you loop the neutral) to supply another light.
If it is a security light then you may need a permanent line to the PIR sensor depending on how you want to control the light.

twin and earth to the switch from the light then a 3 core and earth out to the PIR light, you can then switch it as well as have the permanent feed needed.

twin and earth to the switch from the light then a 3 core and earth out to the PIR light, you can then switch it as well as have the permanent feed needed.
this is how I would normally wire any lighting circuit with my company, feed the switch and switch lines out, 3core for pirs.
thanks for your help though all I wanted to know was weather I could use the cables at the fluorescent as a feed

this is how I would normally wire any lighting circuit with my company, feed the switch and switch lines out, 3core for pirs.
thanks for your help though all I wanted to know was weather I could use the cables at the fluorescent as a feed
I did answer, yes if there is a feed at the fluorescent then take a twin and earth to the switch from it then a 3 core to the PIR light.

How can people not know how to 3 plate its simple?

Then again most new builds are full of jb's.

With a single twin at each fitting.

The op would love the last new build I was on with 4 twins at one fitting (in,out,sw and feed to another)

Systems change, unfortunately for these guys there's only certain fields they'll be good at.

Couple of years ago we were installing that useless push fit joints in new schools, but some lads will only ever do that. How can you class yourself as a spark when all your doing is plugging in an extension lead.

Systems change, unfortunately for these guys there's only certain fields they'll be good at.

Couple of years ago we were installing that useless push fit joints in new schools, but some lads will only ever do that. How can you class yourself as a spark when all your doing is plugging in an extension lead.

There is nothing I detest more than pushfit connections.

Was wiring lighting for a ahu, was a right pain in the arse to get the cables in (spec was for flex)

Click roses you mean or?

Honestly im Interested as most electrical work ive done is bms.

Modular wiring, I vowed never to work on another job that works with this.
ezyzaqu8.jpg

How can people not know how to 3 plate its simple?

Then again most new builds are full of jb's.

With a single twin at each fitting.

The op would love the last new build I was on with 4 twins at one fitting (in,out,sw and feed to another)
How much cheese is in a packet of walkers Cheese and onion LOL, Joking aside it is very sad something so simple can confuse someone working in the trade, shocking really as you say.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys,
I've been a trainee electrician for nearly two years, working only on new builds.
a friend of mine has just moved in to a new house and has asked me to do a few little jobs for him before the plasterer comes in. He wants me to add a security light to the back of his house, however all of his lighting is 3 plate which I've never really had anything to do with.
on his kitchen lighting he has a flourescent with a feed in, feed out + switch line. Is it possible for me to run another feed out of this connection down to a switch by the back door then a switch line out of the switch to a security light?
Any help would be great
adam

I can understand this if your work was mainly commercial/industrial - but surely you have covered this at college - lighting circuit practicals are usually done in yr 1.

Reply to 3 plate switching in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net