Discuss 3 way sockets for electrical plugs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

We're doing a new build home, and I had the idea that all electrical sockets for plugs should have 3 way switches:
1 - always on
2 - on or off controlled by master
3 - always off

This should allow for when leaving the house, flicking off the master switch, and thereby should save energy.

Do such sockets exist?
How much energy might it save?

I'm not keen on having a separate switch next to the socket as a work around, as this would look messy in my opinion.

Hi,

We're doing a new build home, and I had the idea that all electrical sockets for plugs should have 3 way switches:
1 - always on
2 - on or off controlled by master
3 - always off

This should allow for when leaving the house, flicking off the master switch, and thereby should save energy.

Do such sockets exist?
How much energy might it save?

I'm not keen on having a separate switch next to the socket as a work around, as this would look messy in my opinion.
What sort of sockets, and what do you want them to control?

No 2 sounds like 1 and 3 so really they are just on off switches. There will be no energy saving unless I am missing something?
just extra cost. You could just switch off the power to the whole house at the consumer unit though?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sockets with 3 way switches are not made as far as I am aware, however if you wanted this level of functionality then smart sockets that can be controlled by internet or wireless services are available from various suppliers, then you could group all the sockets that you wanted to turn off, e.g. not the fridge, as a set and have a controller arranged to switch off this set of sockets when required.
The energy savings are very variable depending on what you have in the house, especially items that go into standby, in my house I would reducing the energy consumption by about 200W from all indicator lights, clocks,etc.

You could wire the sockets through a contactor (which is basically a switch that handles a big current and is controlled by a small current) so one switch (light switch, fused spur etc) would operate the contactor and control all the sockets st once.

The OP may be on about controlling table, standard lamps plugged into 5 Amp socket outlets, which would be quite simply wired as a normal lighting circuit using 2 way intermediate switching. Installed it that way many times. But the OP hasn't got back to us with what his intentions are, so it's all pie in the sky at the moment.

Here's the position:
We are doing a new build, and builder is supplying the electrician.
I just had a thought that many items may be sapping electricity where the plug is on, but item not being used

The thought was that these items ideally would be switched off for the sake of saving electricity, but practically we don't bother at the moment

What we will do is have 2 separate circuits.
1 set of eg silver sockets as normal
1 set of eg gold sockets controlled by master switch, so can be switched off when leaving the house.

Thanks for you help :)

pointless excercise IMO. an alternative would be to switch appliances off ( e.g. TV etc. off and not on stand-by ). problems arising would be that anything with a built in clock ( like ovens, microwaves etc. ) would need their clocks resetting.

Here's the position:
We are doing a new build, and builder is supplying the electrician.
I just had a thought that many items may be sapping electricity where the plug is on, but item not being used

The thought was that these items ideally would be switched off for the sake of saving electricity, but practically we don't bother at the moment

What we will do is have 2 separate circuits.
1 set of eg silver sockets as normal
1 set of eg gold sockets controlled by master switch, so can be switched off when leaving the house.

Thanks for you help :)
I was only joking about the crystal ball, it's probably quite a good idea actually, from a safety angle. Years ago people used to routinely unplug things like TV's and so on, there have been quite a few cause fires. Could be quite handy to be able to do it from a single switch. One thing I would say, is to check your builders sparky is registered, I am sure he is, but there are far too many instances where the builders sparks is, well, the builder......Round here all the builders just give their customer the single option of "their" electrician, and people never question it (including the one that uses me!)

pointless excercise IMO. an alternative would be to switch appliances off ( e.g. TV etc. off and not on stand-by ). problems arising would be that anything with a built in clock ( like ovens, microwaves etc. ) would need their clocks resetting.
My ovens been reading 00:00 since the day it went in 4 years ago. no jokes about time standing still in Derbyshire Westy.

My ovens been reading 00:00 since the day it went in 4 years ago. no jokes about time standing still in Derbyshire Westy.
that's your fault for not getting it calibrated. :)

When my kids are older and they refuse to go to sleep I am going to have their individual bedrooms on there own 20A radials. I will have two 20A DP switches next to my armchair and will disconnect them from there! Although it will be entirely pointless as most gadgets they will have will likely be wireless and battery operated..

The amount of power being sapped by most modern appliances on standby will be trivial. Don't bother. It'll cost you more in extra wiring and sockets than you'll ever save.

Although if the new Consumer Unit is fitted at the correct height and properly labelled you could easily switch the relevant circuits on and off from there.

Although if the new Consumer Unit is fitted at the correct height and properly labelled you could easily switch the relevant circuits on and off from there.
Probably not a good idea to use the mcb as an on/off switch on a regular basis.

Reply to 3 way sockets for electrical plugs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock