Discuss 3 Way Switching in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

hutch6447

Is there anyway to install 3 way switching with out an intermediate switch?

I personally think it is required but if anyone knows different let me know.

Thanks Matt

Cause the way its wired the permanent live feed is going to the central position of the 3 Lighting switches with feeds coming off the other 2 from each side in 3 core, you cant put the permanent feed into a intermediate switch.

Cause the way its wired the permanent live feed is going to the central position of the 3 Lighting switches with feeds coming off the other 2 from each side in 3 core, you cant put the permanent feed into a intermediate switch.

so what you have got is feed in to middle switch, t+e to light at middle switch then two x 3core and earth cables coming of the middle switch either way to other switches?

<br>
You can, permanant feed goes on to a strapper doesn't matter what end it goes on,
can go on 2way end or intermediate.

Last edited:
Join the permenant live to one of the 3 cores, take it to the common of one of the 2 ways, take the other 2 cores through an intermediate at the central switch through the other 2 way with the common joined to the switch return in the central switch.

yes so unless someone knows how to do it the only way to perform 3 way switching is with and intermediate well that is the only way I know.

Keep com's the same at both 2-way switches, block these com's together at middle switch. block neutrals together at middle switch and connect cpc's appropriately.

l1 and l2 top of intermediate switch connects to l1 and l2 to one of the 2-way switch's.

l1 bottom of intermediate switch with perm L connect to L1 on other 2-way switch, l2 bottom of intermediate with switched live to light connect to l2 on 2-way switch

Look Hutch, here is a diagram, the PL and SL can go to either end of 2 way switches or to the intermediate.

on this drawing the PL and SL are shown in red and blue, your two core can go in any position the red and blue is shown, ie. across the strappers.

Attachments

• 1ntermediate switch.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 132
Yes knew that way original question was because pl, sl are at the center were the intermediate switch has to go but never mind did some drawing myself seen how it can be done.

But thanks for help

Reply to 3 Way Switching in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net