Discuss 30 Amps DP mains supply concern in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

The only cost to me would be having a distribution board installed? Certainly cheaper than an electrical fire burn down the house. If I install a new kitchen as planned this year that's an additional 40Amp to the theoretical maximum load.

And so it gets even more confusing. After much searching I managed to find a photo I took when UK Power came to 'make safe' the exposed fuse a few months back.

Appears there are 4 x 60amp fuses. Each of the 4 flats running off a 60amp fuse with one sharing its fuse with the landlord supply.

What's going on here? Is this a 3 phase supply head being used as a single phase split distributor?

Screenshot 2019-01-10 at 14.14.54.png

As stated in the post that was taken when the U.K. power engineer initially came to make safe the supply a couple of months ago. It’s been resealed since.

FWIW I think you need to confirm the incoming supply, then improve the setup so that the communal area has its own meter........... this will involve the supplier and a Part P electrician

And obviously some of your hard earned money

This is what’s so farcical about the whole thing. U.K. power came out to do this patch repair and didn’t make any site notes. Hence now they can’t confirm what exactly what cable is in the supply head and need to investigate yet again. Thankfully I took this photo but thought it was long gone. Still doesn’t show what cable is feeding it though.

Sorry mate. Is the taped and labelled unit, ie, that separate from the head, just being used as a connection point?

Could be the patch repair. Whatever that is, it looks rough.

Last edited:
It’s difficult to see but the live bar extends through the supply head directly into the ‘attached’ fuse on the left which is currently taped up. If you had something small enough and poked it inbetween like a screwdriver you’d kill yourself. The whole supplyhead is a mess. I’ve been told they’ll be coming in the next 48hours. I’m going to insist on a complete supply head cut out.

It’s difficult to see but the live bar extends through the supply head directly into the ‘attached’ fuse on the left which is currently taped up. If you had something small enough and poked it inbetween like a screwdriver you’d kill yourself. The whole supplyhead is a mess. I’ve been told they’ll be coming in the next 48hours. I’m going to insist on a complete supply head cut out.
Seen it now. It's been added to Phase 1, like you say, for an another supply. There are 5 supplies. 3 from phase 1 and one each from the other two. What a cock up. They should, and probably will, sort it all out. I must admit, I've never seen an addition to supply head like that, though.
If it really is single phase, it's ridiculous. Good luck.

Last edited:
Thing is, if UK power want to do a supplier head cut out and replace I suspect they’ll not be re-using that mess of a configuration. That’ll mean a Rayfield board is necessary to make a safe connection - who pays? You could argue it’s not an upgrade but a safety issue caused by the condition of U.K. powers infrastructure. Hmm

Could be my tired eyes but pretty sure all those meter load tails are 10mm, non of those meters should have 10mm load tails connected directly to them. All the neutral current appears to be via a single 25mm tail. Bloody mess for sure!

So just an update for you guys. UK Power Networks have confirmed all 5 meters are coming off a single phase. Their technician said that personally other than the wrong meter tails that he would be happy leaving it as is, given our power demands were not to change. If we were to add more appliances then a 3 phase and ryefield board are the best bet. Considering we intend to install new kitchens this year I think an upgrade to 3 phase is in order.

Last edited:
So just an update for you guys. UK Power Networks have confirmed all 5 meters are coming off a single phase. Their technician said that personally other than the wrong meter tails that he would be happy leaving it as is, given our power demands were not to change. If we were to add more appliances then a 3 phase and rayfield board are the best bet. Considering we intend to install new kitchens this year I think an undrage to 3 phase is in order.
undrage?

Reply to 30 Amps DP mains supply concern in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net