Discuss 305 on the 2365 electrical cause in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

New version, or old? :)

C&G recently changed the assessment method for most of the 2365-03 units (everything apart from 301 and 308). For the 305 you're doing, is it 3 tasks, task B being highways depth design. Task C being written exam? Or is it a big design exercise (swimming pool and café) plus multiple choice exam?

Hi thanks for the reply. Mine is the big design project on the swimming pool. I was wondering where I get more information to help me and what kind of things I need to include. Would be grateful for any advice.

Hi sorry but I am doing the the electrical installation course and was wondering if any one has started the 305 design project for the 2365 assessment. It is on a design for a swimming pool and cafe. Just wanted advice on what kind of things I need to include .

I guess the important thing to start is to read carefully the whole of the information given to you in the candidate pack about this task, and study the drawings carefully to get a feel for what the proposed installation is, and what you are being asked to do. Different parts of the task require different bits of knowledge, and different sources of information. For instance, qu 1 deals with knowledge of earth fault loops. There is information in the questions about the earthing system at the point it asks you to draw the loop from, and there is information elsewhere that describes the earthing system for other parts of the installation. Using knowledge from your course - backed up by SmartScreen handouts (if you've got access) and/or your text book, you can have a good crack at this.
Qu 2 is a multi-part question, about lights. "Select, using manufacturers’ data, suitable luminaires for all parts of the pool/café block." (it then goes into specifics of things you need, and don't need, to consider). So, "using maufacturers' data" is key there. In your course, there may have been discussions about what sort of lights are suitable for different tasks. You could complement this with real world experience. Use the internet - for instance, as well as Google, you could look at electrical wholesalers and see the range of lighting equipment they sell. It will have manufacturers' details on there. If the specs aren't on the wholesaler's website, you could Google the model number (or the name of the "range") and the manufacturer to find the specs, in the form of a datasheet. You can then use this information in other parts of the question, and the project as a whole.
Other parts of the question require information from other sources. These include the On-Site Guide, BS 7671, your text book, etc.
There is an IET book about electrical installation design:
Electrical Installation Design Guide by The IET | Waterstones - https://www.waterstones.com/book/electrical-installation-design-guide/the-iet/9781849198851
It's used in the 2396 course (level 4), but includes some good examples of the calculations. It doesn't give help on selection of lights (for instance), but if some of the calculations later on in the project are confusing, it might help. Your level 3 text book should be sufficient, though. Make use of the supplied design grids (or at least, one of them!)
Hope that's helpful :)

Hi I am at present doing question 2 b on the 305 design project on the swimming pool. I don't know whether I need to calculate the number of lights needed for each room or just identify which luminaries I have chosen for each room. I don't know whether I am looking to much into this. Has anyone previously done this question

When calculating Ib for discharge luminaries, you use a multipler of 1.8....
So, if power is 1000W you × 1.8 = 1800w
6A×230= 1440W
Then In should be greater 10A.
My first reply, please someone tell me I'm on the right lines ?

When calculating Ib for discharge luminaries, you use a multipler of 1.8....
So, if power is 1000W you × 1.8 = 1800w
6A×230= 1440W
Then In should be greater 10A.
My first reply, please someone tell me I'm on the right lines ?
Sounds correct.
Luminaire specification is 1000W, multiply by 1.8 to give 1800W.
Design current I = P / V = 1800 / 230 = 7.82A
Protective device rating must be above 7.82A, next available rating is 10A.

I finished that module ages ago, it was the first one we did in the 3rd year. It's not that hard, you just have to design some circuits and in our case none of them were allowed to exceed 30M in length, it's just a question of following the design parameters for the most part.

Then towards the end you need to dig into the big yellow book of knowledge to find out some answers and fill them in.

Oh, and draw a 3 phase earth fault loop path that shows how your Electric Vehicle charger socket in the carpark won't take out the breakers in the main hotel. That was fun...

The diagram is not too bad but the EVC unit is not supplied with three phase, the installation origin is three phase, the EVC is single phase. The source supply might usefully have multiple additional earths along the cable. There is no indication of earthing for the EVC supply cable, which should be insulated from the EVC unit.
The local earth of the TT should be connected to both the exposed conductive parts and the charging socket. The RCD should be identified as type A or B. The actual earth fault path is not identified. However in general the correct basic principles have been applied.

The diagram is not too bad but the EVC unit is not supplied with three phase, the installation origin is three phase, the EVC is single phase. The source supply might usefully have multiple additional earths along the cable. There is no indication of earthing for the EVC supply cable, which should be insulated from the EVC unit.
The local earth of the TT should be connected to both the exposed conductive parts and the charging socket. The RCD should be identified as type A or B. The actual earth fault path is not identified. However in general the correct basic principles have been applied.
Hi
Many thanks for your reply
I have applied correction.

ELV Earthing arrangement.png

Looking a lot better; as a diagram for the earthing arrangement in preparation for identifying the Earth fault path that is OK.
I have made a couple of minor adjustments that may assist.
ELV Earthing arrangement.png
L3 completed, incoming earth at ELV enclosed, additional PME electrode, relabel TT as local earth.

Reply to 305 on the 2365 electrical cause in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net