Discuss 315a cut out, what size tails in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

RJP1

-
Reaction score
I'm looking at a job for a friend and wpd is upgrading his cut out and wants us to upgrade his whole install. my question is from the new 315a fuses wpd is putting in what size cable would i require to the panel board literally decide it.
I've has a look on like and uk power networks suggest 240mm cable. am i right in thinking 95mm tried rated would be fine as it can carry upto 321a therefore being protected by the incoming fuses. any help on this would be appreciated.

You need to consider the derating factors for running the number of cores you are installing and also the temperature you need the cables to run at.
The current rating quoted is for one cable in free air with a core temp of 90 degrees.
Also, trirated cable is not double insulated

It will be in trunking and completely mechanically protected Into the panel board and about 6m is required. I have also been assured that been sssured by wpds SAP that tri rates will be acceptable to be terminated into the cutout.

As above you must apply grouping factors to tri rated and 95.0 would be way undersized.

Hi - agree 95mm undersized, sorry RJ.
Using Table 4D1A, ref method B, 3p+n the first one over 315A is 240mm, as per UKPN.

Tri rated can be double insulated, the second layer is often some kind of foam which doubles the diameter of the cable.
As for sizing the cable, don’t size it to the cut out fuse rating, but to the expected load.
Unless WPD are saying their cut out fuse can be used to protect the installation, you will need to provide your own.

As Spinlondon has said, Tri-rated is available as double insulated, we use it a lot for DC systems.

You will have to apply the correction factors for the installation I’m afraid. Are the tails going into your own sw fuse unit before going into the new board or are you relying on the DNO cut out?

I have used HO7R rubber single cables before now just to be able to bend them inside of the enclosures. They are double insulated and make terminating easier into lugs. CT metering will be required as Percy Prod says.

Reply to 315a cut out, what size tails in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net