Discuss 32A commando socket without isolator in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

FSU

-
Reaction score
Any issues with installing one of these without an isolator?

41CoxVIoMkL._AC_SY400_.jpg

The D.B is about 3 meters away and the commando socket will be mounted under a kitchen worktop for a coffee machine and there isn't enough room for an isolator.

Most of the ones I have seen have an isolator nearby, sometimes it's a bugger to pull the plug out. I'm not sure if an Isolator has to be fitted as an emergency switch even though you can still pull the plug out. I'm wondering if the coffee machine is rated over 13A being that it is a the commando socket. The Plug is under the work top which is not really that accessible and people might not know, plus, coffee machine, I assume has hot water, so would advise to have isolator. If it's less than 13A, can you hard wire it with a switch spur, reason I say this is because a spur should not take to much room.

had this argument before, but on a roller shutter door. the door control came installed with a 3 phase plug.i fitted a corresponding socket on SWA. was told it needed an isolator. What for?" says I. "to isolate the door electrics" was the reply. "try pulling the plug out" says me.

this went to the IET forum where it was ruled in my favour.

Tel 1 - BC 0

I believe pulling out the plug is a suitable method of Isolation up to 32amps..
Anything over 32amps requires an Isolator too.
Have a look at table 53.4

Last edited:
When I was younger, a fella who was doing a periodic inspection of our factory said that they were against some regulation or other.

I just took it as gospel and always fitted them with the interlock switch.

I believe pulling out the plug is a suitable method of Isolation up to 32amps..
Anything over 32amps requires an Isolator too.
Have a look at table 53.4

Pulling out the plug is a suitable means of Isolation regardless of size, you can’t get much better isolation than the total disconnection that this achieves.

However they are only suitable for switching up to 32A

If this machine is in an office environment or in a workplace. It has to be switched off when not in use. I'm not sure where the switch is for these types of machine, maybe on the back. A visible switch enables the machine to be switched off when not in use. It's just more convenient than going under the worktop or switching it off at the DB board. If the machine had a switch at the front, maybe fine.

Appendix "J" of On-Site Guide BS7671:2018 states ..
"Plug and Socket outlets (less than or equal to 32A) BS EN 60309 are ok for isolation and functional switching but not ok for emergency switching"

Reply to 32A commando socket without isolator in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net