Discuss 3C&E at ceiling rose. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All

I've been to do it second fix at the house where the 1st fix has already been done, all cable runs are visible so I've no problem completing it.
1st fix was done about 2 years ago, it's an unlived in project, the electrician at the time has wired 2 way switches for the hall and landing the owner wants to be able to switch hall an landing lights from hall or landing.
I expected to see usual set up of switch wire and 3C&E connecting 2 switches, however at both switches are 2x3C&E with no switch drop at either and all 4 of the 3C&E terminate at ceiling roses also there is a T&E connecting hall to landing rose.
Is this a method I've not seen before because for the life of me I can't figure out how to wire it an I've never seen two lots of 3C&E at the rose!
Any thoughts welcome!

Thanks

Not how I would have done it either.

If you put all the browns together (2 strappers and feed), the 2 greys with the switched live on the outside going to the light, and somehow connect the 2 blacks together on their own (Wago or connector block), that should work.

*Neutrals and CPC omitted for clarity.

Edit: I should add:
L1 - brown
L2 - Grey
C - Black

That's just how I wire switches. Use sleeving, obviously.

i assume that he's intended to connect the L and S/L (normally the switch drop) to the strappers in the rose.

Hi All

I've been to do it second fix at the house where the 1st fix has already been done, all cable runs are visible so I've no problem completing it.
1st fix was done about 2 years ago, it's an unlived in project, the electrician at the time has wired 2 way switches for the hall and landing the owner wants to be able to switch hall an landing lights from hall or landing.
I expected to see usual set up of switch wire and 3C&E connecting 2 switches, however at both switches are 2x3C&E with no switch drop at either and all 4 of the 3C&E terminate at ceiling roses also there is a T&E connecting hall to landing rose.
Is this a method I've not seen before because for the life of me I can't figure out how to wire it an I've never seen two lots of 3C&E at the rose!
Any thoughts welcome!

Thanks

And that children is a way to make a simple task very complicated indeed!!

It's not impossible, and doing it isn't rocket science, it's just a weird way of doing it.
It may have been that for some reason the original spark wanted as few wires at the switch as possible and could accommodate them at the rose/light.

Here you go, this might help you:

3C&E at ceiling rose. strappers at rose - EletriciansForums.net

I often wire this way if a central light/s needs switching from opposite sides of a room.

Here you go, this might help you:

View attachment 19276

I often wire this way if a central light/s needs switching from opposite sides of a room.

Not conventional, and as long as the JB is accessible perfectly acceptable and elegant solution...I do wonder if the original spark may have been considering PIR's though, as I have wired this way in the past (commercial installs mind) when we have been using two way PIR's mounted in the ceiling with a key switch at the normal switch position as it solves many of the problems you have otherwise...

Reply to 3C&E at ceiling rose. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock