Discuss 3kW Immersion Heater in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jimjim2991

This is completely separate to my other thread.

I have an 11" 3kW titanium immersion heater that I use to heat a small tank of water. I've been using it for a long time. With the tank that I have I can heat up 10L of water to 70C. It works, but recently, I've heard popping noises and I've taken that as a sign to change my thermostat.

So, I got a new thermostat from CEF but it hasn't helped the water to reach 70C (only around 55C), so I returned the thermostat and they ordered me in a new one that apparently did not have some kind of temperature restriction on it (not sure what this means really?). I tried that and still I was only getting up to around 55C...

I can't think of a reason why I'm not achieving the same temperature with a different stat. Can anybody help me out with this? I just want a new stat that works like the old one!

This is completely separate to my other thread.

I have an 11" 3kW titanium immersion heater that I use to heat a small tank of water. I've been using it for a long time. With the tank that I have I can heat up 10L of water to 70C. It works, but recently, I've heard popping noises and I've taken that as a sign to change my thermostat.

So, I got a new thermostat from CEF but it hasn't helped the water to reach 70C (only around 55C), so I returned the thermostat and they ordered me in a new one that apparently did not have some kind of temperature restriction on it (not sure what this means really?). I tried that and still I was only getting up to around 55C...

I can't think of a reason why I'm not achieving the same temperature with a different stat. Can anybody help me out with this? I just want a new stat that works like the old one!
Are the stats you have got adjustable?

What makes you think the original thermostat is faulty, other than the popping sound?
When you say "popping" where is the noise coming from?

What makes you think the original thermostat is faulty, other than the popping sound?
When you say "popping" where is the noise coming from?

The noise was coming from inside/around the heating element. Since changing the thermostat the same popping noise has stopped. It's hard to find a completely accurate word for the sound heard, but it was quite the rumble and pop, and it has not always been this way. I heard thermostats need replacing and as I'd used it for nearly 2 years thought I'd replace!

Could you explain a bit more how you arrived at this? I don't understand why the same heater will reach 70C with one thermostat but only 55C with another.
May be the heater you have is "popping" it has been working to hard during it's lifetime, therefore the assumption being, its to small for the situation you have employed, working at maximum for to long, like anything else will eventually go U/S, ergo my statement get a larger heater, which will have some room for latitude and not work so hard, at least that's my take on this unusual use of an immersion heater, hope this goes some way to explaining my statement.

May be the heater you have is "popping" it has been working to hard during it's lifetime, therefore the assumption being, its to small for the situation you have employed, working at maximum for to long, like anything else will eventually go U/S, ergo my statement get a larger heater, which will have some room for latitude and not work so hard, at least that's my take on this unusual use of an immersion heater, hope this goes some way to explaining my statement.

I agree with you it might be a good idea to buy a new heater, but don't you think it's curious that the popping went away when I changed the thermostat? And that one thermostat allows the heater to heat the water up to 70C, but the other does not?

In this situation I think it's pretty hard to tell whether it is the thermostat or the heater that is at fault.

Would you agree that testing the heater would be the best way of finding out?

Sorry if I'm coming across as ignorant, but before I look into their reply more deeply, can you let me know what you think is silly about it?
That's quite alright Tel the OP is a DIY er so ever so doubtful that he has an insulation tester or a continuity tester or the technical where with all to carry out the tests you so rightly suggest he gets done, mind you I may be wrong the OP may be a technical wizard.

i suppose it's a bit too much to ask of a neon screwdriver then?

Reply to 3kW Immersion Heater in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net