• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss 3phase inverter on domestic supplly in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

ga8ry

A friend of mine is building a workshop out his back. One of the machines is 3-phase with a 7.5ka load. It's a 40m run from his fuse board in the house to the one I want to put in workshop. There is only going to be a 2 twin 5ft flossys, 6 double sockets(no big load just hand tools, radio etc.....) and the invertor that he ordered with the machine.

I I was going to put a 80a 30ma rcd at the house escos run 16mm radial out to the board in the workshop with another rcd and a 6, 32, and 40a(type c) breakers to run the 3 circuits.

Does this sound alright to you's? Ive never sized cable runs etc... Is the 16mm mains sound ok and the rcd and mcb types and rating seem ok??

really appreciate any help

I guess you are using a time delay rcd at the main board? And if using SWA running surfaced, would you really need an RCD at the main board?

In terms of length, you will need to confirm VD over length to see if 16mm will take the load over the length. You need to make sure that you look at the total load too, and not just for the 3 phase inverter.

Was going to use swa, would i be ok putting the swa tails straight into the main escos and just having any rcd at the workshop board. Also would it better to have say a 63a dp switch with a time delay rcbo for the the inverter and 2 other rcbos for the other circuits

As above. Why the RCD at the main board. Use armoured cable and just put a RCD in the workshop. Volt drop is ok over 40 meters. 8.96V 2.24%. 16mm? What is the installation method?

Was going to use swa, would i be ok putting the swa tails straight into the main escos and just having any rcd at the workshop board. Also would it better to have say a 63a dp switch with a time delay rcbo for the the inverter and 2 other rcbos for the other circuits

No you can't just connect the SWA to a set of isco blocks!
That you you have even suggested this makes me think the best advice is that you leave well alone and hire an electrician to carry out the work safely.

You need to protect the SWA from overcurrent so you need a circuit breaker or preferably a fuse at the start of the run.
In the far end you will need 30mA RCD protection, at least for the sockets, as well as the local overcurrent protection for each circuit.
Separating the RCD protection would be a good idea.

Hi ga8ry..

Firstly I would be looking at the Electrical requirements of an inverter for a 7.5Kw motor 1ph to 3ph as you may be surprised about the required fusing.

As above - you shouldn't have rcd's in series in this case and you should have front end overload protection of your garage supply.

You say you have never really done cable calcs - now don't get me wrong here when I ask because you have a profile expressing a time served Electrician, I'm going to refrain from making assumptions here so how is it a time served Electrician hasn't used cable calcs before and noting the points made in reply doesn't seem to be aware of some of the more basic of regulations?

Lastly to add to the above regarding the lathe.. a 7.5Kw motor has a full load of approx 15amps per phase, if you derive this through a inverter 1ph to 3ph are you getting 3ph 200/230v output and is your motor able to be reconfigured for 230v 3ph?.. if so can the supply handle the 40-50amp demand that the lathe may pull if loading motor up full.

Reply to 3phase inverter on domestic supplly in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back