Discuss £4000 for taking on an apprentice- discuss in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

And those apprentices have to fall into one of the many eligibility criteria... many of which would not be my first choice for a new employee.

ANNEX A - SERI 2018/19 Eligibility Criteria

Young people aged 16-29 years (inclusive) who fall within one or more of the following groups will be eligible for SERI support:

• person with a disability or long-term health condition;
• care experienced young people;
• carer
• person with a conviction (including CPO’s);
• early leavers from the armed forces, veterans and ex forces personnel
• long-term unemployed (6 months or over) who are not on the Work Programme or Community Work Placements;
• person who has failed their ESA Work Capability Assessment;
• Work Programme completers who remain unemployed;
• ethnic minority groups;
• Gypsy/travelling community;
• partner of current or ex-Armed Forces personnel;
• person requiring support with language, literacy or numeracy, including those for whom English is an additional language;
• lone parent;
• person with lower than SCQF Level 5 qualification;
• a young person who was receiving additional support for learning in school
• refugee or other granted leave to stay in the UK;
• homeless person (including temporary or unstable
accommodation);
• person affected by substance misuse.

Young people who meet the one or more of following will not be eligible for SERI support

• are of compulsory school age;
• are currently supported through Adopt an Apprentice or Adopt and Intern
• if they fall within an eligible group (Annex A), but are aged 30 or over;
• are attending school or college full-time as a learner or student;
• are in full-time higher education;
• have an existing contract of employment
(including as a Modern Apprentice);
• are an ineligible overseas national;
• are in custody or on remand in custody;
• are in receipt of an Education Maintenance Allowance;
• are in receipt of any other SG/SDS/DWP ERI;
• are not domiciled in Scotland;
• are participating any mandated DWP initiative

Seems to exclude many youngsters ... surely it should be available for all?
I think they're including the ones most likely to need sweeteners to the employer to keep them out of long term unemployment.
Look at it another way, they'd be the ones nicking your tools to buy drugs in 10 years time if they don't have any other prospects.

I think they're including the ones most likely to need sweeteners to the employer to keep them out of long term unemployment.
Look at it another way, they'd be the ones nicking your tools to buy drugs in 10 years time if they don't have any other prospects.
Either that or the cynical me suggests they may have dropped out of the apprenticeship you offered them and they now know what you've got in your van.

Let us be level headed,here. There are lots of experienced and eminently employable persons,who will fall in to one or more,of that list,above.
The problem is,that someone wishing to add to what may be a small company,maybe even a first ever employed person,will have a list of requirements,which will be based foremost,on the needs of the job.

The issues listed,would be secondary,and not,a prerequisite,to selection.

I have many friends,who over the years,have took what looked like unjustifiable risks,in employing a person,and were proved correct.

Some had the polar opposite experience.

In both instances,their decision was entirely personal,and not lead or enforced,by a policy or bribe.

I have very good friends,with some pretty major personal,criminal and mental baggage attached,and would trust them with all i have - family included.

I also,regularly run in to folk employed in some of our lofty institutions,involved in law and the responsibility of others....some of which,would need help to get dressed in the morning,could not be trusted with an egg whisk,and whose moral compass,would seem to have a series of strong magnets,revolving around it :)

many of the issues we face when selecting apprentices are usually ones most people face! we have a lot who want to get the jobs but are too busy earning darwin awards or want to play with the cell phones too much.
practical jokes have no place around a high voltage buss or switchgear!
many of our guys and gals do not have time for someone who doesn't pay attention to their job. and the knot heads are weeded out quickly!
our biggest concern is that the management will hire totally incapable people based on their own agendas. ( they can override the committee decisions any time they wanted to)
this has cost our company the chance of hiring some highly qualified people too many times!

In the late 1980’s the government withdrew the apprentice subsidy. An apprentice is a huge drain on a company and so they stopped taking them on.

Around the late 90’s our company due to retirement needed skilled maintenance electricians and they were in short supply. The ones we took on I wouldn’t trust to wire a plug.

Another half arsed program by Scottish government.
what about year 2 or beyond ?
Wouldn't it be better to pay money for each year ,possibly reduce the number of places, but ensure that companies and apprentices are supported for a few years ?
the danger is a sole trader takes someone on and can manage the first year with the support. The second year they could struggle and pay off the apprentice.
Lets face it you have to pay to send an apprentice to college, thats a days wages you don't a return for.
Scottish government claim to help business, but they don't really help small businesses .
Their requirement to join a scheme before being allowed to verify landlord lets ..is nothing short of squeezing money out of small business.
you have to be a member of select or nic before you can test and inspect for a landlord but you can do it elsewhere without ?
So you pay money and some of your profits to a business that runs the course you require to join their scheme.
I'm part time and it shuts the door on a lot of work for me.

sorry about the rant but it looks like another gimmick by the government
its like there cyber essentials scheme.
they supported this financially for a short time then moved on,
to deal with scot gov you had to have this standard which cost about 1500 plus vat. It squeezes small companies profits so the bigger companies win again.
you need to pay someone to ensure you are up to standard then someone else to test it. I can ensure you are up to that standard as probably could most on here .How ever you must be a registered company ….wait for it you need to be a member of a scheme that takes money off you …sound familiar ?

sorry it might seem a good idea on the surface, but I think that they need to support the smaller companies and possibly fund the apprenticeships for longer for it to work.
just my thoughts having dealt a lot with scots gov in the past with policies etc …. they don't really have a clue in the real world and generally listen to people from big companies , people that are looking after their own interests.
whilst I realise nothing is perfect, I think this could be an excellent opportunity to get people trained in the industry but longer support is needed and possibly a sliding scale more support for a small company or sole trader .

apologies re the rant, but I've not had my breakfast yet, also a customer that I arranged a job for today isn't in due to a hairdressing appointment GRRR

Another half arsed program by Scottish government.
what about year 2 or beyond ?
Wouldn't it be better to pay money for each year ,possibly reduce the number of places, but ensure that companies and apprentices are supported for a few years ?
the danger is a sole trader takes someone on and can manage the first year with the support. The second year they could struggle and pay off the apprentice.
Lets face it you have to pay to send an apprentice to college, thats a days wages you don't a return for.
Scottish government claim to help business, but they don't really help small businesses .
Their requirement to join a scheme before being allowed to verify landlord lets ..is nothing short of squeezing money out of small business.
you have to be a member of select or nic before you can test and inspect for a landlord but you can do it elsewhere without ?
So you pay money and some of your profits to a business that runs the course you require to join their scheme.
I'm part time and it shuts the door on a lot of work for me.

sorry about the rant but it looks like another gimmick by the government
its like there cyber essentials scheme.
they supported this financially for a short time then moved on,
to deal with scot gov you had to have this standard which cost about 1500 plus vat. It squeezes small companies profits so the bigger companies win again.
you need to pay someone to ensure you are up to standard then someone else to test it. I can ensure you are up to that standard as probably could most on here .How ever you must be a registered company ….wait for it you need to be a member of a scheme that takes money off you …sound familiar ?

sorry it might seem a good idea on the surface, but I think that they need to support the smaller companies and possibly fund the apprenticeships for longer for it to work.
just my thoughts having dealt a lot with scots gov in the past with policies etc …. they don't really have a clue in the real world and generally listen to people from big companies , people that are looking after their own interests.
whilst I realise nothing is perfect, I think this could be an excellent opportunity to get people trained in the industry but longer support is needed and possibly a sliding scale more support for a small company or sole trader .

apologies re the rant, but I've not had my breakfast yet, also a customer that I arranged a job for today isn't in due to a hairdressing appointment GRRR

While I find myself in agreement with most of what you've said here, I do, however, strongly disagree with this part:
Their requirement to join a scheme before being allowed to verify landlord lets ..is nothing short of squeezing money out of small business. you have to be a member of select or nic before you can test and inspect for a landlord but you can do it elsewhere without ?
First of all, there is no statutory requirement that the person carrying-out an EICR on a private letting in Scotland be a SELECT member or an NICEIC approved contractor. Annex A of the Scottish Government's Electrical installations and appliances in private rented properties statutory guidance states only that: "An EICR must be completed by a suitably competent person." So, what exactly is their definition of a "suitably competent person"? This is what they say:

"Using a firm that is a member of an accredited registration scheme operated by a recognised body will give some degree of confidence that this has been achieved. In Scotland, this will usually mean that they are a registered with NICEIC, a member firm of the Electrical Contractors' Association of Scotland (SELECT), or a member of the National Association of Professional Inspectors and Testers (NAPIT)."

And:

"Landlords can take membership of these organisations as evidence of competence."

So as can be seen, there is no statutory requirement that a person carrying-out an EICR on a private let in Scotland be a SELECT member or an NICEIC approved contractor. The only statutory requirement in force is that the landlord assumes sole responsible for ensuring the person completing an EICR is suitably competent. If, however, the person carrying-out the EICR is not a SELECT member, an NICEIC approved contractor, or a member of NAPIT, the landlord is then required to:

"seek evidence of competence and have regard to the details provided."

Furthermore:

"A competent person (other than a member of NICEIC, SELECT or NAPIT) should be able to confirm all of the points listed in the checklist form provided on the following page."

Thsese are the requirements that a non-SELECT / NICEIC / NAPIT member carrying-out an EICR on behalf of a private landlord needs to satisfy and confirm by way of a dated signature:

I am a member of a professional body

I have public liability insurance (£2 million minimum is recommended)

I have employers’ liability insurance (£2 million minimum is recommended), unless the business has no employees

I have professional indemnity insurance (£0.25 million is recommended for contractors undertaking electrical installation condition reporting)

I have completed appropriate assessed training on current version of BS7671 within the past 5 years

I can provide:
copies of wholesaler bills made out to entity trading, or
a company registration number, or
a Unique Tax Reference (UTR)

I can provide copies of trade qualification or equivalent

I can provide a copy of a written health and safety policy statement for the business

I have completed Electrotechnical Certification Scheme (ECS) Health & Safety Assessment within the past 3 years

I have been granted, or am eligible to be granted at least Approved Electrician grade.

Other than those landlords who have specifically required that their EICR be carried-out by a SELECT or NICEIC member, I have NEVER had a landlord ask me to prove my competency. Not once. Indeed, I can assure you that EICRs are being carried-out in the Glasgow area by twentysomething electricians who are not approved grade and who don't even have a qualification in inspection and testing. They do EICRs for £40-£60 therefore making it next to impossible for registered, approved, qualified contractors to compete. They then inflate the price of any remedial work that ensues to compensate.

Worse, a few months ago I lost an EICR to a plumber. I'm not joking.

The sad fact is, anyone can carry-out an EICR in Scotland. Hell, you don't even to be an electrician. The buck stops with the landlord, and if the plumber he has hired to do his EICR messes-up, then it will be the landlord's arse that is in a sling, not the plumber's. The system in its present form is quite clearly not fit for the purpose and is in dire need of a radical overhaul. It's a ----ing joke.

My own view is that anyone advertising their services for any type of electrical work anywhere in Scotland should be registered. If you haven't served a recognised apprenticeship or have received approved training and/or don't possess the necessary up-to-date qualifications, then you don't get accepted. This will eliminate the cowboys, the chancers and the under-qualified in one fell swoop. Next, every registered electrician should the be licensed along the lines of the Australian model. Anyone who advertises themselves as an electrician, or who actually carries-out any type of electrical work without a licence commits a criminal offence and incurs a heavy fine and/or imprisonment.

Anyone who advertises themselves as an electrician or actually carries-out any type of electrical work without a licence commits a criminal offence and incurs a heavy fine and/or imprisonment.
is that before or after the Glasgow Kiss?

Anyone who advertises themselves as an electrician or actually carries-out any type of electrical work without a licence commits a criminal offence and incurs a heavy fine and/or imprisonment.
is that before or after the Glasgow Kiss?

hi the part that is important here is the wording

"I am a member of a professional body"

thats the bit I interpret to be napit selct or Nic … unless you can point me in the direction of somewhere else .
Which would be great ,as I have been refused work by landlords as I'm not select or nic.
I read the guidelines as you had to be a member of a professional body by law ,to carry out the work and if thats not the case, a lot of landlords think that also, ##
despite me having all the other attributes:; being time served , relevant certificates and insurance etc

my apologies I may have interpreted it incorrectly and as a result even knocked back work because I didn't tick all the boxes as above .
the other ironic thing which I disagree with is the training
its select and nic that run the training courses and only give discount for members
but you need the courses to become a member !!!!!!

re plumbers don't start me on that subject : some think they are painter decorators /electricians and joiners all in one at times . occasionally they connect pipes :mask:

Last edited:
hi the part that is important here is the wording

"I am a member of a professional body"

thats the bit I interpret to be napit selct or Nic … unless you can point me in the direction of somewhere else .
Which would be great ,as I have been refused work by landlords as I'm not select or nic.
I read the guidelines as you had to be a member of a professional body by law ,to carry out the work and if thats not the case, a lot of landlords think that also, ##
despite me having all the other attributes:; being time served , relevant certificates and insurance etc

my apologies I may have interpreted it incorrectly and as a result even knocked back work because I didn't tick all the boxes as above .
the other ironic thing which I disagree with is the training
its select and nic that run the training courses and only give discount for members
but you need the courses to become a member !!!!!!

re plumbers don't start me on that subject : some think they are painter decorators /electricians and joiners all in one at times . occasionally they connect pipes :mask:

I have absolutely no idea what the "I am a member of a professional body" bit entails. SJIB perhaps? If it means SELECT, NICEIC or NAPIT, then the rest of the checklist would be redundant by default as competency would have already been proven by virtue of you being a member of SELECT, NICEIC or NAPIT. This bit makes no sense to me either.

As for training, the alternative to the training courses provided by SELECT and NICEIC is, of course, the City & Guilds course in inspection and testing. But at £950.00, you would be much better-off doing the SELECT course which, even at full-price, is £498.00. You could always join SELECT as a probationary member and be able to do the course at the member's discounted rate of £300.00 thus saving yourself close on £200.00. This will cover the cost of your probationary membership! When you get the qualification you can then apply for full membership. Sorted.

JK, I agree with a lot you have said. As everyone on here knows, I am not a qualified electrician, but could theoretically carry out EICRs for private landlords as a "competent person"...however I do not in any way consider myself such. On the other hand, I do carry out PA Testing on my own let properties and on those of other landlords. I am competent that far, so I think it's fair to say I would not be happy having the possibility of a criminal conviction for doing such work "unregistered".
Then again, there are plenty sticker jockeys out there in PAT-world...

JK, I agree with a lot you have said. As everyone on here knows, I am not a qualified electrician, but could theoretically carry out EICRs for private landlords as a "competent person"...however I do not in any way consider myself such. On the other hand, I do carry out PA Testing on my own let properties and on those of other landlords. I am competent that far, so I think it's fair to say I would not be happy having the possibility of a criminal conviction for doing such work "unregistered".
Then again, there are plenty sticker jockeys out there in PAT-world...

Reply to £4000 for taking on an apprentice- discuss in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net