Discuss 400v through a ring final circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

Chrisday1990

Hey guys, I had a callout the other day, 7 fan coil units where not working, these where supplied via a ring final circuit and once all unplugged the circuit engaged, I latter discovered all fan coil units had a dead link between line and earth under a 250v insulation test. The manager and myself was puzzled as to how all the units became shagged, another guy was on site previous and could not find the latter. My only suggestion would be the guy previously got one end of the ring circuit onto another phase thus putting 400v down to each unit, I. Theory this sound logical. Annoy suggestions guys???

If they had one end of the ring circuit onto another phase as you state. I think there would be a big bang.

measure the L-E on each unit with meter set on continuity range. you may then find that it's not a dead short as indicated on IR test.

If their American units I’m not surprised about the N→E link. They crop up now and again on CR4. Have they worked? Because 2Ph over there is 230V not 433V.

Well to destroy 7 fan units simultaneously you've got to do something really special and if the previous guy did the deed and covered his tracks then you'll probably never know what happened unless you waterboard the truth out of him. I take it the fans didn't have any protection on their circuit and no internal thermistors/thermal protectors wired up? What kind of motors are they? Are they standard induction motors or maybe external rotor or even EC motors? All you can do is replace them and recommission the entire system from scratch.

Reply to 400v through a ring final circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock