Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss 45 A Cooker Switch with short cables in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. pape03

pape03 New EF Member

Hi, I need to replace a cooker switch. See attached image. The negative is on the right side of the pic. I'd need a 45A switch with socket.
    I can't really find any switch witch looks like this. Does anyone know where can I buy something like this?
    "I hope not crimping is the only solution"
    Thanks

32260608_1841843672505233_2406229924068196352_n.jpg

2. robd

robd Electrician's Arms

Looks a bit of a mess but if I understand you correctly Crabtree terminals are on the same side as that

3. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    That's a roght old butchers hook (Mess) looks like the original installer has nicked the insulation on the Blavk (Neutral not Negative) wire, to be safe you would be well advised to get a reputable Electrician to replace/repair that switch.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  4. MDJ

MDJ Trusted Advisor

Can you not try to pull some slack up as the cables are sheathed and re-connect that mess properly?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    From the pics Mike, looks like they are plastered in real tight, good idea, only a site visit will prove yes or no, but you never know.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. ruston

ruston Trusted Advisor

As the others advise, that needs doing properly . That cable is goosed and need the burned bit replaced.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    move switch up 4" and replace cable to CCU.

8. Richard Burns

Richard Burns Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Richard Burns
    Welcome to the forum.
    It looks like the live connection has overheated and then melted onto the neutral at some point and this has been "repaired" with insulation tape. The earth wants to be reconnected before using the existing switch as well.
    It is likely the cable is damaged and possibly not able to make a good connection unless it has been cleaned up.
    Ideally the cable on the left should be replaced.
    Wago make a, rather large, 41 A push in connector that could be used if there is enough space in the back box and the left hand cable can be cut back to undamaged cores and then the live and neutral cables extended in the back box so that they will reach the terminals.

• Like Like x 2
  9. pape03

pape03 New EF Member

Thank you for all the answers, you're really helpful.
    I will get an electrician and pass all these info to him.

• Like Like x 5