Discuss 45-degree sockets for kitchen in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

JoshD

Has anyone come across any 45-degree 13A sockets I could use in a kitchen? I'm sure I've seen some somewhere, but I can't find anything on the web.

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about sockets banked at 45 degrees (like on a workbench), but where the socket is mounted flush on a wall/upstand, but with the socket twisted round, so that when you plug something in the cable comes out at 45 degrees sideways rather than straight down. You see this quite a lot on rackmount PDUs.

The situation at hand is a kitchen island where the counter terminates on an 150mm upstand, and above this there is then a breakfast bar projecting the other side. This means there is only 150mm vertical (of which only the lower 125mm is usable) on which to mount sockets; if standard sockets are used there's too much pressure on the flex coming out of a moulded plug. Problem would be solved with 45-degree sockets.

Other solutions considered are
1. Bank the sockets at 45 degrees (like on a workbench); but this is rejected because of aesthetics and waste of counter space.
2. Use pop-up sockets coming out of the counter: don't like this because it uses space below the counter, and because of risk of ending up with liquid down the hole; but probably this is the fall-back solution.

BTW, if I did locate 45-degree sockets, would regs allow them to be used as described? I know there's a 150mm guidance on mounting sockets above work surface.

TLC Stock worktop range under wiring accessories double £13.40 +.

Thanks Electro-tech, but they're not what I had in mind: they're banked at 45 degrees (and look best suited to fitting under the eye-level cupboards/shelves); I'm after sockets which are rotated 45 degrees so that they still mount flush to a vertical surface, but when something is plugged in the cable leaves slightly sideways. Here's a rackmount pdu that does what I want, but not suitable for a kitchen:

https://www.videkonline.co.uk/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?Code=9252R&Stk_pic=9252R.jpg

Best,

Josh

Sounds like its hammer and chisel time and mount singles at 45 degrees!!

Scrap that, just read the island bit!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like its hammer and chisel time and mount singles at 45 degrees!!

It's a possibility, but don't forget that an 88mm plate mounted at 45 degrees will use 125mm of height---ie, the full available size of the upstand: not sure this would go down well on aesthetics.

paturback, definitely the best so far, and I would never have found them. Only problem is that they don't have switches ... not sure if that will be acceptable in kitchen.

Josh
Plates are supplied with the MK Electric 3-pin safety shutter. Pretty sure there is nothing in the regs to say they have to be switched. You could always add a switched fcu if you want

Last edited by a moderator:
Plates are supplied with the MK Electric 3-pin safety shutter. Pretty sure there is nothing in the regs to say they have to be switched.

Understood. I'm showing them to the architect.

Many thanks

Josh.

Reply to 45-degree sockets for kitchen in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock