Discuss 4mm half of circuit on 32a mcb in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,
I did some work on a house the other day that had a circuit for sockets which was cabled in 4mm to half way in the house the split of it to 2.5 up to the sockets. It had a 32a breaker. I'm aware that you can have a 32a 4mm radial but that the whole circuit must be in 4mm. Using 2.5 on any part of the radial is not really acceptable am I right?

You can only have one double socket on a 2.5mm cable @32A it's no different to a spur, change the breaker to 20A if any more than one on 2.5mm radial

As far as I know you can't buy a bigger fuse than 13a for a plug top x 2 = 26A perfectly controlled cable rating, so many sparks afraid of the limits, if you're under you're under

Never liked the idea of relying on forward fusing, like to design a circuit fit for purpose, with your principle you might as well back it with a 45amp breaker.!!

are you sure this wasn`t a hybrid circuit here...?

I suppose it was kind of hybrid. It was a bungalow with one socket circuit which included all sockets and the kitchen... So the circuit does have a fair amount of 2.5 in it but also has quite a lot of 4mm as well. It's not burnt down so far, I told the customer they didn't seem that bothered.

You sure the 2.5’s are spurs? Sounds like a lollipop to me.

It might have been. I only had to work on one socket which had only one piece of 2.5 going to it from the piece of 4mm from the board. I since changed that one to 4mm I could see under the floor another junction box with another spur in 2.5 going up. Just never seen this before. Wasn't able to check any of the other sockets.

Lollipop_zps118a7755.jpg

Quite handy for largish buildings. Run a 4/6mm from the CU to where the ring is needed. Great for confusing the youngsters.

I think we used 6mm when we got around to rewiring the brothers 4 floor + basement house. Both of us electricians, it only took three years to finish.

Reply to 4mm half of circuit on 32a mcb in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net