Discuss 4mm on 32a mcb?? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

K

KNIPEX

Just a quick question for you lot.

would you put 4mm t+e cable on a 32a mcb.

or would you play it safe and stick it on a 20a mcb.

thanks in advance.

4mm can take 32a dont know the exact pages in on suite guide etc but its ok, also alot of the old houses out there are 4mm radials etc.

Yes no problem at all.
I have on occaion wired 4mm radials in kitchens with 32amp ocpd's, with rest of house divided up into 2.5mm radials with 16 / 20 amp ocpd's.

Wouldn't do it my self but I'm sure someone could say if it's clipped direct with ice round it it would be ok forever. What if the ice melts? your'e signing for the situation as you find it . do how bankrobbers practice and play safe

yep same as easy says, kitchens is where ive mainly used a 4mm radial, id use a 35mm back box as well to ease installation. also on a slight tangent! mk's dbl sockets are actually recommended to be installed in 35mm boxes but more often than not are done in 25mm's boxes's

4mm clipped direct has a current rating of 37 amps, all other installation methods drop that rating down below 32 amps.

Ib<In<Iz ..... ?

Wouldn't do it my self but I'm sure someone could say if it's clipped direct with ice round it it would be ok forever. What if the ice melts? your'e signing for the situation as you find it . do how bankrobbers practice and play safe

why wouldnt you do it? it is a perfectly acceptable design solution, and the regs (both 16 and 17th) expressly say you can do it.

i have just put a 4mm radial into a kitchen - what you you say if you found that on a PIR then:rolleyes:

Sure it all depends on the lenght of the cable. it would be ok for a short run. you should work out your volt drop on the cable before anything.

Sure it all depends on the lenght of the cable. it would be ok for a short run. you should work out your volt drop on the cable before anything.

well of course, but whats that got to do with 4mm on a 32A MCB? dont you (we) do that with any cable we design and install?

the regs tell us we can serve an area of 75 metres squared with 4 mm on 32A MCB.

I have done a number of 4mm radials recently, and shall continue to do so:rolleyes:

In the 80' all showers (7.5 - 8.0kw) were installed using 4mm t&e cable on 30amp HRC fuses so no problem with the cable size.

Reply to 4mm on 32a mcb?? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock