Discuss £5,000 Electricity Bill!!!!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Rileywoo

Hi I am a new member. My daughter has just received a whopping bill for over £5,000. They are out from 7 am to 7 pm. Have only usual items i.e. fridge/freezer,t.v./oven/DVD player/surveillance camera. On monitoring her meter from 5 pm last night to 12. noon (bearing in mind they were in bed for 9 hours. the meter says 17 Kw have been used. Something is sadly wrong somewhere. Any advice please?

Ok,
Can we have a photo of the meter, where the cables come into the house and the connections to the fusebox? Is it a digit meter or one with pointers. It is possiable to read the pointers incorrectly and cause a huge bill, if it is pointers please could you let us know what you think the photographed meter should read.
As you are a new member you won't be able to post photos here, use a flicker account or something similar to upload the photos and then let us know when done and where.

Someone I worked with could not understand why his bill was so high, as he was on a brand new estate he asked the developer what was going on. It turned out that they had taken a supply from his DB to supply the site huts near to him.

No mention of heating for the premises ... what kind of heating ie storage heaters ??? mix these with yrs of estimated bills and you can see bills into the thousands when the meter is actually read.

thats ridiculous, we definatly need pics or perhaps a sparky in your area could have a look
i once worked at a small phone shop, his bills were £300- p/week yet he was only using a 2 kw blower heater &a few lights
it turned out that a shop large furnature shop next door was using his supply
the meter in his basement was very hot as was the board and 16mm tails!

I attended a fault lately where a 16mm2 SWA feeding a large garage was damaged but not severly enought to blow a 60A 1361. This fault resulted in 3KWish escaping to earth 24/7 equaling astronimical bill! Just a thought.

Reply to £5,000 Electricity Bill!!!!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net