Discuss 5 core flex to combi in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

@anthonybragg if they want a bond at the gas meter then they better put one there themselves
Its up to us to follow BS7671 and it says within 600mm of entering the building and before any Tees or branches. Obviously this isn’t viable all of the time and common sense should prevail but I certainly won’t be changing the way I bond Gas pipes until BS7671 changes
So why the disagree? The bonding was after the isolation valve where it entered the flat in this case and when I showed him our regs book he didn't take it any further, just pointing out that their regs just stated within 600 of the meter.

So why the disagree? The bonding was after the isolation valve where it entered the flat in this case and when I showed him our regs book he didn't take it any further, just pointing out that their regs just stated within 600 of the meter.
Because it isn’t their responsibility it’s ours we design the installation or install to a designers spec and follow our regs even if the gas pipe ran outside for 10 metres before entering the building as long as there weren’t any tees or branches we would bond within 600mm of it entering the building.

It is in their Gas safe regs I had to go through this with a plumber regarding bonding in a 2nd floor flat he showed me his gas regs book

Whatever book he showed you it was not the gas regulations. The gas regulations state no more than that if bonding is not present an electrician should be consulted.
See the gas safety in use regulations which, since it is law, is freely available at legislation.gov.uk

To be clear I am not disputing what our regs are and agree with the above I was making the point that I was in a similar situation with a plumber regarding what our regs said and it was acceptable to bond the gas where it entered the flat when I showed him a copy of the page he shut up. He had a publication that was produced by Gas safe with just the one line regarding the 600mm from the meter his regs was not fully in line with ours.

the whole point of bonding is to reduce the potential of electric shocks to persons. it is not to prevent a gas explosion or a flood, so tell the wet-pants to stick his head down the toilet where he'll be more at home with what he's competent with.

Clarification

It's been a couple of years since I started the gas course and I didn't finish it as I left the company I was working for, but....

The below is quoted from the Viper book page L26 (k17&k18)

The electrical bonding clamp should be attached not more than 600mm away from meter( internal meters). For meters located in outside meter boxes the bonding should be inside the building as near as practical to the point of entry of the installation pipe.

They may well have revised the book since. The book he showed me had Gas Safe Regulations on it. I was there as he was not going to sign off the gas cert as the bonding was not within 600mm of the meter on the ground floor it was as entry to the flat had to get my regs book out and convince him which took some doing. As for the disagrees I can only comment on what he showed me regarding his regs.

There are two compliant books acceptable to use in gas. One is the the viper book that I used, The other is the corgi one I think. It was a yellow book last time I saw one.
The viper book is better because it's in a binder that you can change pages when the relevant regs change, saving a fortune over time.

he was not going to sign off the gas cert
had to get my regs book out and convince him which took some doing.

The gas certificate is a record of what was found on a given day. He should have made a note of the lack of bonding, stuck a sticker near the meter stating
Most types of electrical installations are fitted with main equipotential bonding which is connected to the installations earth terminal. blah blah blah
I am required by the gas (installation and use) regulations, to inform you that any necessary equipotential bonding work should be carried out by a competent person. Blah blah blah

issue the cert and do one.

I think I've seen the requirement for a seperate flex for the 'volt free' switching pair in Ariston M.I.s , it's to avoid any induced voltage issues I think.

I’m doing 2/3 Worcester’s a week at the moment and none of the current models need a volt free roomstat, they are all 240V for standard controls.

I wonder if the water clown is getting this confused with using the Ls terminal to supply external controls.
Water clown ha ha ha ha

I met a plumber the other day who insisted that the boiler supply should be via a plug now.
He said he had been told when updating his gas safe, he said the lecturer mentioned it because some "compentent people" cant wire boilers correctly and if its on a plug the the electrically untrained plumbers can pyhsically unplug it and achieve complete isolation when working on it.

Reply to 5 core flex to combi in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net