Discuss 5 different lamps no longer work once bulbs blow.... in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Pickles9812

Hello,
i don't really know if this forum is where I am meant to come to ask questions but I'm hoping someone will help me anyway :)

over the past 6 months or so I have had different lamps that stop working completely once the bulb has blown in it. The 1st lamps bulb blew in the living room and after placing a new bulb in, it wouldn't work. Tried the same bulb in a bedroom lamp and it worked fine. I figured I had a dodgy lamp and since it wasn't expensive, I threw it away and went out and bought a new one. About 6 weeks later, the bulb in that lamp blew and again after placing in a new bulb, the lamp wouldn't work. I then purchased a completely different lamp from a different store but the same thing happened. 2 months ago, the bulb in a lamp I've had for years in my kitchen blew so I popped in a new one and low and behold, this lamp now won't work with a fresh bulb. So again, I went out and purchased a new lamp for the kitchen, and the same thing happened with the new one. Today, I went to turn on the lamp in living room and as I switched it on, it blew. Put in a new bulb, lamp doesn't work.....

Can someone please give me an idea as to what the problem may be? I always use the correct wattage. All other electrical appliances work fine in the sockets in kitchen and living room. It just seem to be that the moment a bulb blows, the electrics seem to do something that then makes these lamps not work again.

Im baffled and fed up of buying new lamps every few weeks to be honest
Thankyou

It could be a few things here of which you seem to have ironed out a few, it may be a loose connection in the circuit, possibly the switch contacts or the terminal connections, all would shorten the life of a lamp if arcing - I have a hunch the lamps themselves are not popping but you are loosing your voltage to the fitting hence the second lamp will not work.

Check the switch has no loose wires (safety in mind - isolate the power) then if no avail you need to get an electrician in really.

blown fuse in the plug/lamp? sometimes bulbs cause a short circuit when they fail.

Thankyou for your replies. There is definitely no loose wiring or anything that May cause any issues. The fact it's happened with 5 separate lamps, in 2 different rooms in the house and in different sockets in those rooms, tells me it can't possibly be that all 5 lamps have become faulty. So if I call out an electrician, what would he have to do to find the problem? I don't want to be ripped off so would like to pretend I know a little about electrics even though I know nothing at all :/

And also, just to add , my landlord has said if it turns out the lamps are faulty, then I will be charged for the call out. I can't see how 5 lamps, 1 old and 4 brand new ones were all faulty somehow.

When bulbs start failing like you describe the best thing YOU can do is replace the bulbs with "named" products - avoid Poundland, Argos, Homebase etc etc.

This should eliminate dodgy bulbs.

Reply to 5 different lamps no longer work once bulbs blow.... in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net