Discuss 5 week short courses in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

This has been about talked to death. It's a tricky one because some quality Sparks will filter through but the general consensus of the courses is that you will be guided on how to pass. Not given the knowledge and experience to pass on your own merits.

That scares me.

Some good replies, and I agree with some of them But Some replies are answering the question wrong, If you have prior knowledge or a general grasp of things then that is fine.
My Main Question is: Should Someone who as only ever worked in a different field Ie Fast food outlet, office, window cleaner be allowed to sit a 5 week course and then immediately set up a company and go around charging the unsuspecting public for their services, then ( and it happens ) come on somewhere like here And ask how to do a job that they are charging some poor sod for.

3-5 years training to do house bashing seems over the top to me, but as already highlighted some people are able to pick things up easier than others.

Starjack, You must be due an award for 177 posts and you only joined on Friday, is work quiet?
On the contrary , we are snowed under but as I have explained in other threads, when you have money and power and Minions earning you money then you can do as you wish with your time.
I do a lot of work from my laptop now and it's not hard to do that while checking my bank balance and popping in here to reply to my fans.

On the contrary , we are snowed under but as I have explained in other threads, when you have money and power and Minions earning you money then you can do as you wish with your time.
I do a lot of work from my laptop now and it's not hard to do that while checking my bank balance and popping in here to reply to my fans.

5 week short courses Screenshot 2019-02-07 at 13.00.20 - EletriciansForums.net

So at least you have no concerns with the 5 week spark courses as they clearly aren't preventing you from makng so much money you don't need to leave your house/mansion.

I think I will open up a training centre, Be A Spark in Two Weeks and charge 25% less than the ones offering a 5 week coarse, at least they will be out there earning money far more quickly.

We've all seen this sort of stuff before

You can't trust some people to do up their own shoelaces!

I think it's genetic some people just can't do it, they know this but don't give a @#!$
not just Electrical Trainee's as I have met a few very conscientious ones,
It happens across the board we've all met apprentice trained people your afraid to stand next to when they're working

My mate says it's Nature as in the stupid ones take risks that can kill them

He says H&S goes against Darwin's theory and allows these idiots to thrive by protecting them from themselves and the intelligent ones are becoming endangered as they're outnumbered by numptys creating lethal situations

ie in the past Stupid John the village idiot often met a nasty end due to bad judgement and his stupid genes die out

Unfortunately these idiots leave a trail of danger behind them before they get a wake up call

I've met lots of people all chancing their hand at something they think will earn them mega bucks, all talk and No substance

Tbh I think that asides from stricter skills tests, practical and theory being the best long term solution,
The only way of stopping it would be having compulsory licensing and third party inspection for certain grades of workers in the electrical trades but I guess this would get watered down when not enough people passed

To the OP
I've also heard that in Germany you are licensed to a certain grade and have to complete a business course before you can go self employed, therefore only the proven can tout their trade independently

If this is true it would be a good system to adopt.

I think those without experience, but qualifications, will not stand the test of time, yes they’ll do a few jobs and will be able to hide some inexperienced bodges but the stuff that can be seen won’t be good enough to get them recurring work and they’ll have to either try a different trade or go on the books with someone to gain experience.
I did two 22 week courses to get me to domestic installer then I went looking for experience and I got mentored by a very meticulous but lazy time served spark. 18 months of doing most of the work myself but gaining so much experience - he ended up owing me about 2 grand but I’d have paid him for what I got out of it.
I love this job and the people and the freedom and the forum has helped immensely.

Some good replies, and I agree with some of them But Some replies are answering the question wrong, If you have prior knowledge or a general grasp of things then that is fine.
My Main Question is: Should Someone who as only ever worked in a different field Ie Fast food outlet, office, window cleaner be allowed to sit a 5 week course and then immediately set up a company and go around charging the unsuspecting public for their services, then ( and it happens ) come on somewhere like here And ask how to do a job that they are charging some poor sod for.
Gut reaction is no but there are still too many viarables as already mentioned. If someone who has done an intensive 5 week course is able to correctly spec and safely install a piece of work then why not? There are plenty of so called time served professionals out there in all fields that do substandard jobs.

And I guess this is one of my biggest gripes... wtf is wrong with people coming to an electricians forums and asking for advice ffs? Who'd have thought it eh???

Would you rather people ask for advice (and possibly back away from a job when - if - they realise they are out of their depth) or simply plow head long into projects they have zero clue about?

I know which I'd prefer, and I have benefited from the wealth of experience here, which is why I get so angry when people publicly crush those who are looking to learn and improve. The people who don't give a ---- are not going to come here and seek advice, they are just going to carry on regardless.

And I guess this is one of my biggest gripes... wtf is wrong with people coming to an electricians forums and asking for advice ffs? Who'd have thought it eh???

Would you rather people ask for advice (and possibly back away from a job when - if - they realise they are out of their depth) or simply plow head long into projects they have zero clue about?

I know which I'd prefer, and I have benefited from the wealth of experience here, which is why I get so angry when people publicly crush those who are looking to learn and improve. The people who don't give a **** are not going to come here and seek advice, they are just going to carry on regardless.
I find, that if you explain what’s involved, you often get asked to do the work.

I know which I'd prefer, and I have benefited from the wealth of experience here, which is why I get so angry when people publicly crush those who are looking to learn and improve. The people who don't give a **** are not going to come here and seek advice, they are just going to carry on regardless.

And there it is!!!!!!
They shouldn't be meddling with stuff if they don't know what they are doing, so is this how the world is going.

Fast food worker , total numpty at the beginning of the month

Goes on a wham bam thank you mam course
Pay their cheque
Register as self employed Electrician
Goes on their first job, can't do it because they rapidly find out they're not an electrician and then goes on a forum and asks for a dot to dot guide on what to do.
The fast food worker/ sorry " electrician" then collects his/ her money and moves onto the next poor sod.
Tell me I'm wrong, and I'm not being rude but that is how it is.

Chill out babes ---

Reply to 5 week short courses in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock