Discuss £50 a year for certification??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening,

i was in the wholesalers today and and speaking to another regular, he said he wasn't registered with a body, he said he pays £50 per year for unlimited certification each year, he does the certificates on easicert and then another company signs them.

is he talking gibberish? He said why pay a scheme when you can do that, he said Elecsa and NICEIC both offer it but I'll be buggered if I can see where.

Presumably he is actually saying he can buy the certificate numbers for electrical installation certificates for this price and is unaware of the requirements to notify building control (or the other company signing the certificates is notifying building control illegally).

I know, well I was a bit puzzled, he said he pays a third party company to test his work and sign the certificates but they just sign them, I asked his about notification and he said they do it, But personally I don't believe they do and he probably has a countless number of jobs that have not been notified.

it was 100% £50 per year for unlimited numbers, I did double check this with him.

ill ask the bloke in the shop as he seems to know him quite well.

I know that there are some schemes that allow third party certification. I do not agree with it at all as firstly why would I want to sign my name to a job which I didn't do? Also if you are carrying out third party certification you would need to visit the job a crucial stages just as the LBC do in the same event. And also if we all did this, we would end up being just certification electricians and all the unregistered and cheaper sparks would get all the work.
Self preservation lads, self preservation!

I spoke to someone who knows him yesterday and he said he doesn't notify any job, and gets someone else to sign it off, but its totally not legit.

He is a cowboy in my eyes.

What about notifying building control?

my local building control has a free competent persons register for people with all the correct qualifications and insurance.
I do my work and give customer a cert with my free reg number on it.....no more £500 a year scams for me!

my local building control has a free competent persons register for people with all the correct qualifications and insurance.
I do my work and give customer a cert with my free reg number on it.....no more £500 a year scams for me!

And other Local Authority Building Controls will start to follow suit once word spread.

I've been issuing certs for a few years now with different Local Authorities Building Control and external Building Control Inspectors with out any issues. Once they see a True Copy of my JIB Card with 2391 and 17th all is good.

Even issued Periodic's years gone by when the customer as been left with out a Cert and again Building Control as accepted.

When it comes to commercial works, nothing stopping anyone producing a Cert

Last edited:
Good to hear that common sense still exists in some areas. The councils could rake a few quid in by allowing us to register with them annually by producing a JIB card and current insurance plus a resonable admin fee. :)

Reply to £50 a year for certification??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net