Discuss 50 volts between nuetral & earth - Lighting/ fluescents in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello beautiful people.
Quick one for anyone who may have an idea:

Attended job today with a room with 2x 5ft fluescents not working and found 50v between N-E. I did basic tests on the fittings (continuity, ir, etc) - all ok. main earth and everything else ok.

Checked the light nearest the non-working lights and found 4x 2ft fluescents going into junction box with all their polarities reversed going into the junction box - how someone could do that i don't know.
I corrected them (adding appropriate sheafs to switch conductors etc, grrr) which got the fluescent lights working again with no N-E voltage.

My quiry is tho, assuming the polarity issue was historic, if the fluescents were working before then why did they just both stop like that and then start working as soon as I corrected the polarity? and why didn't the 2 ft ones stop working?

I feel like I've missed something such as a loose connection which I've corrected while stomping about or something. It'll probably click soon as my head hits the pillow. always does lol!

Maybe you corrected a lose connection without realising. They should have operated polarity correct or not.

Probably a high resistance neutral connection in the junctionbox which you have unknowingly corrected.You would see a voltage appear on the neutral wire at the lights,which in effect was not a neutral....it was a conductor connected to a line conductor through the light and going nowhere until the bad connection is rectified.

Reply to 50 volts between nuetral & earth - Lighting/ fluescents in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, I have an unusual issue with a recent rewire I have just completed which I hope you guys can assist with. For background, this is a...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys, I love colorful LED light strings. I've been wanting to hand some around the house and finally got around to it. I purchased a few LED...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I've just been perusing the AM2/E/S threads on here. Thought you might like a bit of a review. If, like I did, you find yourself...
Replies
Views
hello. just wondered if any of you have experienced this or can possibly shed some light on it. today i went to a fault on an immersion circuit...
Replies
Views
P
The one good thing about this job is that after 15 years I'm still being amazed by what I find. So, welcome to the house with the wiring from...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock