Discuss 6 lights on a switch???? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I don't believe there is any regulation where this is a stipulation. It should be down to the design of the installation and the current ratings of the switches involved.

Most light switches are rated at 6 amps (or more) and given most lighting is LED, that's a lot of lights.

Unless there is a lot of downlights or other small lights, I wouldn't have expected more than a couple of lights on one switch anyway, so what lighting are you installing?

You can get 8 gang switches ..................

JCC have recommendations of number of their lights per circuit and the cable / breaker size.

Its a bit like what I was told yesterday "you don't have to use grommets in metal boxes anymore" - what carp

.... i can not put
any more than 6 lights on a switch ....

In our kitchen we have 20 Saxby LED ceiling lamps on a 6A MK switch plate protected by a 6A type B MK MCB - there was no requirement for us to switch sub-groups of lamps.

No problem with loadings etc but they are telling me its a new reg for energy conservation and where for example we have 8 recessed led fittings in a corridoor it will make wiring a pain

The domestic building Services compliance guide as referenced in Part L of the BR states this information.
View attachment 40285
However it is a recommendation not a proscription.

Very interesting, and only a recomendation.

So 6 lights is correct if they are all 16 watts each

So it could be 20 x 5 watt lights

And more inportantly, this is NOT in BS 7671 so why do we need to do this?

Certficates we sign off, confirm compliance to BS 7671 , nothing else!

No wonder the trade is in a pickle!

I’m not that familiar with the English building regs, but does Part L not only apply where the job is subject to building warrant e.g a new build, major renovation, extension etc?
And, expect something in the 18th regarding energy conservation!

Very interesting, and only a recomendation.

So 6 lights is correct if they are all 16 watts each

So it could be 20 x 5 watt lights

And more inportantly, this is NOT in BS 7671 so why do we need to do this?

Certficates we sign off, confirm compliance to BS 7671 , nothing else!

No wonder the trade is in a pickle!

its hard enough keeping up with bs 7671 without all the mad building regs as well, like fuseboard heights ,exteact fan flow rates etc

Hit, nail and head spring to mind.

Who says we need to know any of this?

I don't recall Elecsa or Stroma ever sending me any relevent information on this stuff.

just had my latest nic visit and they dont seem to know half the building reg updates it would be good if we were sent updates
i have not seen much in things like profesional electrician or electrical times that tell you of building reg changes

FFS most people are installing LED's now with hardly any current draw, wind them up and say balancing 6 lamps on a switch is a bit like playing reverse Jenga but connecting all 6 to a switch should be fine.

Are they under 25 spotty and nervous on a building site.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to 6 lights on a switch???? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net