Discuss 60a main fuse?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

gpz900jim

Hi, I am doing a rewire at the moment. Adding all of the breakers up and dividing by 0.4, gives me a total load of 71a. I will be upgrading the meter tails to 25mm and the main earth to 16mm.. The main fuse is 60a. My questions are;1 how would I go about getting the main fuse uprated? or can I note on the EIC that the main fuse is too small and recommend that the customer gets it uprated ? 2 I need to change the tails from the main fuse up to the meter, and from the meter to the cu. Will the supplier have to come along and fit the meter tails and reseal, or shall I just cut the seal on the meter and just say there wasnt one there at all? There is currently no seal on the main fuse. I know what I should do, but is the real world different ie, what would you do??

firstly, add up the ccts and multiply by 0.4 to give u a rule of thumb figure for diversity. (otherwise 0.4 x 71A gives a starting total load of 28.4A.......this cant be right)
if u have the time, why not calculate this properly using the onsite guide?

the 60A 1361 main fuse may be ok,(prob break at about 120A) depending on the total load after calc? how many ccts involved.
secondly, i NEVER change the tails from main fuse to meter, only from meter to C/Unit.
I always cut seals if still there, pull main fuse to do this and re-seal afterwards.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, the total rule of thumb I got to was 71a, it was 177 x 0.4 = 70.8 sorry if it was not clear. So, the tails from the main fuse, I just get the supplier to do? I suppose that if they need doing, which they do, I could request an upgrade of the main fuse at the same time? So if I cut the seal on the meter and connected my new tails from the cu to the meter and requested an upgrade of the tails from the main fuse to the meter, that would be ok generally ? and they would reseal the meter when they do their bit?

i worked that out mate, 71A divided by 0.4 gives me 177.5A which is what i guessed was ur starting load, therefore 177.5A x 0.4 gives 71A after a rule of thumb diversity

thats why i said multiply by 0.4, ur original post said divide.?
They never like u cutting the seals, (never admit to them either that u do this) so u could request a fuse change and tie it in with ur install, ie get a date off them and arrange to be at property so u can connect into New CU.
In the mean time, either wait or pull fuse and temp terminate into a henley block, and from there take ur new tails to new C unit. Personally, i would do that as they can take up to 6 weeks to even show their faces?

I think the best piece of advise is to not cut the seals until you've spoken to the supplier! And they will almost definitely warn you not to cut the seals, my local supplier wont even allow me to do it in an emergency, I just have to wait for an engineer. Some suppliers take a very dim view of you doing this. Its just as easy to arrange for them to come out and upgrade the tails but fit an isolator at the same time. I always provide the tails, the isolator, and a fuse, just get them to come out and fit it. You can leave it to them to provide everything but they charge the customer three times the retail price for parts, so supply your own!

Hi, I am doing a rewire at the moment. Adding all of the breakers up and dividing by 0.4, gives me a total load of 71a. I will be upgrading the meter tails to 25mm and the main earth to 16mm.. The main fuse is 60a. My questions are;1 how would I go about getting the main fuse uprated? or can I note on the EIC that the main fuse is too small and recommend that the customer gets it uprated ? 2 I need to change the tails from the main fuse up to the meter, and from the meter to the cu. Will the supplier have to come along and fit the meter tails and reseal, or shall I just cut the seal on the meter and just say there wasnt one there at all? There is currently no seal on the main fuse. I know what I should do, but is the real world different ie, what would you do??

Don't forget that as the competent person on site, you should be able to make a better assessment of maximum demand simply by looking at the installations use and users, you are not limited to OSG formulae and rules of thumb.

The good book states: "The use of other methods of determining maximum demand is not precluded where specified by a competent person"

Then when upgrade to 80a or 100a, how come 'the board' get away without part p inspection?

The DNO's work is covered by ESQCR 2002 Regulations, they have no responsibility past the meter, the responsibility then falls on the consumer and his/her appointed contractor.

"I always cut seals if still there, pull main fuse to do this and re-seal afterwards."
The above bit from UKPABLO interests me, how would one re seal again? I didnt think the seals would be obtainable ?

u can buy them on ebay, look under meter seals.

look, i never work with live tails, i always pull fuse and re-seal afterwards so the customer cannot do the same after i have left, ie leave it as safe as i found it!
if the DNO ever have a prob with this then they can take me to court, my life is more important to me IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cut the seals every time, sod the DNO, no court would prosecute you anyway. Reseal it with the ones off ebay if you wish (you won't have the special embossed print they put in it, we don't reseal to trick the DNO, it's a safety issue) or just use a small cable tie.

Reply to 60a main fuse?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock