Discuss 60A type E BS-88? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Tidy Max

Hi chaps.

Been to look at a customers new property and its definitely a do-er upper, did a Ze and checked the main fuse before i left and it says its a 60A type E BS88.

I haven't seen one before and i can't find any time current info on it at all.

Am i being really daft (which is most probably the case)?

If not can anybody point me in the right direction?

I will upload a picture after tea!

Hi chaps.

Been to look at a customers new property and its definitely a do-er upper, did a Ze and checked the main fuse before i left and it says its a 60A type E BS88.

I haven't seen one before and i can't find any time current info on it at all.

Am i being really daft (which is most probably the case)?

If not can anybody point me in the right direction?

I will upload a picture after tea!

Why do you need the time/current characteristics for the main fuse out of interest?

Its a 3036 board and there is no service head. two cores come out of the top of a stone wall with 2 battered braided steel CPC's. I haven't worked on anything so old so i took a Ze and PFCC PSCC, (0.16) I am in the process of moving all of my post it notes from the BGB to my BYB and i was thinking about that job and attempted to look up that fuse type. It was more the fact that it said 60A on it i've only seen 63 and 80s before!

And that, was my thought process :)

Thanks Lee. I have never seen a 60A BS 88! I must of lead a sheltered life :)

I am guessing that you don't have a lot of experience, or you have never worked on old back to back type terrace houses, or just older houses in general There are 1000's of 60a fuses out there, sooner or later you will come across them.

The reason that they used them in years gone by is due to the lack of electrical appliances that were available way back then. I have even come across 60a fuses in 1970's built 3 bed semis.

Cheers............Howard

Never! Unless i haven't been very observant! The majority of my work was mainly commercial and when i was completing my apprenticeship its was all site work. Now i am doing a fair chunk of domestic for myself i always check out the incomer (when there are no seals of course!)

But yeah, never seen a 60A! Any reason they don't seem to be mentioned on any literature, or is it just due to there age?

Ta for the reply Howard!

I am guessing that you don't have a lot of experience, or you have never worked on old back to back type terrace houses, or just older houses in general There are 1000's of 60a fuses out there, sooner or later you will come across them.

The reason that they used them in years gone by is due to the lack of electrical appliances that were available way back then. I have even come across 60a fuses in 1970's built 3 bed semis.

Cheers............Howard

Very common in the 70s and80s to have 60amp servicefuse. (domestic)

They probably no longer fit them. As far as i know new supplies now get a 100A fuse, i may be wrong and the DNO lads who hang around will be more informed. As for commercial, i have never specced a supply so can't comment.

I see lots of 80s and 100s. I must be fortunate (or unfortunate!) in the age of property i have been working in. This is the first property i've done that has no CPC on the lighting either!

Reply to 60A type E BS-88? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net