Discuss ? 6mm = 2 x 2.5 mm cables in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello peeps.
Okay, I should read regs. instead of just ask those who might know, but it's easier :)
Do you think it acceptable to use a short length of 6mm t&e in order to link a new consumer unit to a 'head' (the former CU position) of an existing final ring consisting of the normal two 2.5's? (about 400 mm length.)
I only ask because I am curios whether this could possibly look neater.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Hello peeps.
Okay, I should read regs. instead of just ask those who might know, but it's easier :)
Do you think it acceptable to use a short length of 6mm t&e in order to link a new consumer unit to a 'head' (the former CU position) of an existing final ring consisting of the normal two 2.5's? (about 400 mm length.)
What else exists at "the head and what do you mean by "the head"?

given we are talking quite a small distance here, why not just get a suitable enclosure and use some connectors to extend with the same cable? wont cost much for a little box and connectors, will look nice when clipped and dressed well for the customer though. its better than bodging it with a bit of 6mm. If you really want to be fancy get a small enclosure with din rail and use the din connectors. they look really nice when dressed well to extend the circuits to a new CU position.

Hello peeps.
Yes, called a lollipop circuit.

Electrically I think the lollipop would be OK, testing is inconvenient, one radial to one ring and join the two together.
Not a standard circuit but an allowable design of circuit.
Not one I would necessarily recommend but workable.

I wouldn't want to be the one trying to squeeze 2x 2.5 and a 6mm into the back of a socket!

There was an article about this type of circuit arrangement I think in the voltium email I get not so long ago, FWIR. They said that this was an acceptable way of supplying a ring final circuit as long as the joint with the 6mm was accessible to facilitate test and inspection.

I wouldn't want to be the one trying to squeeze 2x 2.5 and a 6mm into the back of a socket!

There was an article about this type of circuit arrangement I think in the voltium email I get not so long ago, FWIR. They said that this was an acceptable way of supplying a ring final circuit as long as the joint with the 6mm was accessible to facilitate test and inspection.
JB then. I presume that's what he's on about at the former CU position. 32A dp switch may suit better.

Oh yes, thank you guys, great replies.
Glad I know now what a Lollypop circuit is, inthe past I would've been tempted to give it a good ol' lick for a quick live test .
...only kidding. Thanks for your thoughts people, I'll stick to the solid path.

JB then. I presume that's what he's on about at the former CU position. 32A dp switch may suit better.

I have seen that approach many times, school IT rooms, some offices with power poles fed with a 6mm then a ring on the end for the desks, retail, the list is endless. I have seen them installed with a separate 4.0mm cpc sa well, this may have been due to their use with IT gear.

I have seen that approach many times, school IT rooms, some offices with power poles fed with a 6mm then a ring on the end for the desks, retail, the list is endless. I have seen them installed with a separate 4.0mm cpc as well, this may have been due to their use with IT gear.

hybrid_ring_radial_final_circuits_1_3.png

Common issues relating to hybrid ring/radial final circuits - https://www.voltimum.co.uk/articles/common-issues-relating-hybrid

Reply to ? 6mm = 2 x 2.5 mm cables in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net