Discuss 6mm Earth and Main protective bonding conductors in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

An idiots guide put together by members of the iet, niceic, napit, beama, city and guilds,EAL, select,BSI
Yep all idiots with no electrical knowledge or background ;)
It is not relevant who put it together as it obviously not done by idiots, my views on it don't change.

Given BS7671 is not a statutory document or law but guidance can't we use our 'competent' knowledge and skill to make a informed decision to list all the departures and do as we see appropriate in the circumstances... after all there was a case recently where some office of officialdom took a case to court where a cowboy spark had been doing notifiable work and it went a bit wrong... the judge refused to allow the big yellow book to be used in the case as he said it has no legal basis its not a statutory document that must be complied with.

This may be off interest to you?

The Electrical Safety First best practice guide no 1. Changing a Consumer Unit.

States that 6mm main earth and bonding conductors don't need to be changed when "they have been in place for a significant time and show no sign of thermal damage".

A pdf version is downloadable from their website.

Good find, so it says;
A 6mm or 10mm earthing conductor used with an associated line conductor of 25mm could be considered adequate if the requirements of regulation 543.1.3 are met.

This is the good old adiabatic equation. I've tried to do this before but get stuck, anyone know how to do this?

Good find, so it says;
A 6mm or 10mm earthing conductor used with an associated line conductor of 25mm could be considered adequate if the requirements of regulation 543.1.3 are met.

This is the good old adiabatic equation. I've tried to do this before but get stuck, anyone know how to do this?
I've given you the formula from my first post or have you just ignored it?

These are my figures (I think);
S=6 (6mm earth cable)
k=143 (70 degree thermoplastic)
t=0.03 (30ms)
I2=1.08 (Prospective fault current)

As a starting pint does this look correct?

These are my figures (I think);
S=6 (6mm earth cable)
k=143 (70 degree thermoplastic)
t=0.03 (30ms)
I2=1.08 (Prospective fault current)

As a starting pint does this look correct?
S is what you are trying to find.
It's not the 6mm already in place.
First find the fault current which by measuring ze , can be calculated.
So a ze of 0.10 gives a fault current of 2300 amps
I2 so 2300 x2300=
Then multiply by the disconnection times given for the OCPD in the cut out using appendix 3 tables.
If below 0.1 seconds the let through energy figure is to be used given by the manufacturer.
Square root the answer and divide by say 143 if the earthing conductor is a separate cable and not bunched with the live and neutral 'tails'
This will give you S which is your required CSA of the earthing conductor for compliance

In this example scenario ,Using a disconnect time of 0-1 seconds and a fault current of 2.3ka will give a CSA of 5mm rounded off so 6mm is adequate

Ian1981, sorry read and forgot your first post, got tied up with bedtime.......

I don't get how you get your 2300 amps, my Ze is 0.22, what calculation do I need to do?
That was just my example of a ze of 0.1 ohms
A ze of 0.22 is by calculation 230/0.22 =1045 amps
So times 1045x 1045=
Then times that by your fuse disconnect time which I'll take your word as 0.03 without me trying to look it up
If it's a bs1361 fuse 60 amp then your disconnection time will be below 0.1 seconds
Square root the answer then divide by either 115 or 143.
If the answer is below 6mm then your 6mm which is already in place is adequate for the earthing conductor.
Tho why not change it anyway if it's not a chew on?

Last edited:
It's ok, I realise the situation, was just having a joke!

Sorry, lots of hand holding required. It's big job to replace so hoping the figures here work out.

my "t" was wrong, I used RCD being 30ms.

Cut out is BS (EN) 1361 IIa, Appendix 3 does not list this?
It will have a 60,80 or 100 amp rated fuse inside.
Thought you said it was a 60 amp to be honest

Bs 1361 fuses are not listed in bs 7671 17 th edition as they've been superseded by bs 88 fuses but the red version of the 17 th has 1361 fuses still listed in appendix 3.
The disconnection time will be below 0.1 seconds on a 60 amp bs1361 fuse so it's extremely likely that your 6mm earthing conductor is satisfactory

Last edited:
At 0.1 seconds a bs 1361 fuse will open at 880 amps so your fault current of 1045 amps will make the fuse operate below 0.1 seconds
If you used 0.1 seconds as t then I get 2.31 mm required size of earthing conductor so 6mm is fine.
Obviously the higher the disconnection time then the larger the CSA of the earthing conductor will need to be.
But with all this said and done if it can be upgraded then I'd do it anyway tho not easy if it's a ball ache of a job such as an external meter with the consumer unit inside

Last edited:

Reply to 6mm Earth and Main protective bonding conductors in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock