Discuss 6mm Main Bonding on TN-S domestic install in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

F

freedomrun

TN-S, 60A Main Fuse, 16mm Tails, 16mm Earth.

Question - CU change required & at the moment has 6mm Main Earth Bonding to gas & Water, less than 0.05 Ohms continuity measured & good condition. I'm pretty sure that this 6mm size Main bonding is compliant - just thought i would check if i should be aware of any other issue with leaving this in place. Thanks.

The main earth is oversized, because 10mm would do, in which case 6mm is ok.

It does not strictly comply, because tns main bonding must be at least half the size of the main earth, but it would have to be a real jobsworth to pull you on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
As OC has said with that 16mm Main Protective conductor you need to fit a 10mm Bonding conductor.

Can you reduce the size of the Main protective conductor?

The main earth is oversized, because 10mm would do, in which case 6mm is ok.

It does not strictly comply, because tns main bonding must be at least half the size of the main earth, but it would have to be a real jobsworth to pull you on it.

Not quite correct, the bonding needs to be half that REQUIRED for the earthing conductor. If you calculate the earthing conductor requires 6mm via the adiabatic then the bonding need to be half that not what size cable may of been installed.

Regards Chris

Not quite correct, the bonding needs to be half that REQUIRED for the earthing conductor. If you calculate the earthing conductor requires 6mm via the adiabatic then the bonding need to be half that not what size cable may of been installed.

Regards Chris

Your the one thats 'not quite correct' you're saying 4mm will be ok, that is wrong.

See 544.1.1, main bonding not less than half size of main earth and "not less than 6mm"

In this case the tails and main earth are both 16mm, therefore the main earth "should" or "could" be 10mm which makes the 6mm bonding ok.

Your the one thats 'not quite correct' you're saying 4mm will be ok, that is wrong.

See 544.1.1, main bonding not less than half size of main earth and "not less than 6mm"

In this case the tails and main earth are both 16mm, therefore the main earth "should" or "could" be 10mm which makes the 6mm bonding ok.

Well i assumed that an electrician would be aware of the minimum of 6mm for bonding, so i don't see how im incorrect in what ive stated other than what i assumed was the obvious :)

So it needs to be half that required for the earthing conductor and no less than 6mm.

Regards Chris

Well i assumed that an electrician would be aware of the minimum of 6mm for bonding, so i don't see how im incorrect in what ive stated other than what i assumed was the obvious :)

If you calculate the earthing conductor requires 6mm via the adiabatic then the bonding need to be half that not what size cable may of been installed.

Chris remember the first rule of holes 'when you're in one stop digging', we all make mistakes.

however, if it's solid green, you'll need some green and yellow striped paint.:prrr:

What ever OXO, just because i exposed a fundamental flaw in your knowledge. I was just being specific regarding the fact its the required size not the installed as you claimed.:D

Dont take it to heart, i failed to mention the 6mm minimum, but the op was was going down the same road as yourself and that was the point i addressed.:wink_smile:

Regards Chris

as the dalek said, climbing off the dustbin... " we all make mistakes".

had similar the other week bonding was 7/044 ( think that's right, old imperial measurement, just over 6mm) adiabatic gave 8mm min. for main earthing conductor, so it stayed.

What ever OXO, just because i exposed a fundamental flaw in your knowledge. I was just being specific regarding the fact its the required size not the installed as you claimed.:D

Dont take it to heart, i failed to mention the 6mm minimum, but the op was was going down the same road as yourself and that was the point i addressed.:wink_smile:

Regards Chris

Amazing, now you're just being plain stupid, how do you dig a hole while standing on your head.

Many thanks for the response - this install is TN-S, but would the install still comply if i were to get another of these and it was a domestic TN-C-S arrangement with the same factors applied as my original question?

think you'll find that BS7671 stipulates 10mm bonding for TNC-S.

Was thinking that was the case on PME system - ok keep in mind when that one comes along. Cheers.

After a lot of research on this matter it has been drawn to my attention (via ECA and ESC) that minimum 6mm main bonding can stay in place on existing instalations providing they show no signs of damage and are verified adequate, and is left at your discretion but should be noted on the eic.

refered to reg 132.2 (or there abouts dont have regs handy)
ADDITIONS AND ALTERATIONS.
no alterations to properties unless EXISTING bonding and earthing are verified as adequate for the alteration.

Reply to 6mm Main Bonding on TN-S domestic install in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock