Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

6mm tails t&e

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum' started by soulman, Feb 26, 2012.

Discuss 6mm tails t&e in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. soulman

soulman Electrician's Arms

have any of you guys come across this before 6mm t&e tails this is the second time i've seen this in two weeks the one this morning was two x t&e tails (2 in the netral & 2 in the line), the customer with the 6mm t&e said that it has been like this for 20 years.

2. spinlondon

spinlondon Trusted Advisor

What load are they supplying, what are the earthing arrangments, are the two cables supplying one or two loads?

3. soulman

both were tt system, both wylex 3036 boards not much loading no electric showers although both had electric ovens up & down ring the one with two cables was suppling one ccu. I was particularily concerned about the one with just one 6mm t&e but therewas no signs of burning & no signs of deteriation. Was T&E commonly used as tails as i have never seen it before.

4. needasparks

needasparks Electrician's Arms

See it loads of times on old installs, more common on old multible cu's. One for cooker, one for lighting ect.
    It was taken from the old bussbar rule that the cable was fused downstream at the one or two way unit so would not pull any more than its max load. Not a very good set up obviously as the rule was designed for industrial setups in trunking but commonly extended to domestic setups in the 50's and 60's.

• Like Like x 1
  5. grimysparks80

grimysparks80 Electrician's Arms

I came across this once before. Had to call the supplier out to sort it.

6. soulman

Thank you for the quick replies, would it be considered dangerous if the loading was low and there was no sign of burning & deteriation to the cable. What coding would this be on eicr Cheers

7. grimysparks80

grimysparks80 Electrician's Arms

Its not nessecarily wrong, depending on the load, but if it was me id get the supplier out to sort it. On the one I found they came out and upgraded without any fuss or charge. Least you know its ok for the future then and no cost to you or the customer.

• Like Like x 2