Discuss 8.5 kw shower on old red/blue 6mm in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

stratplus

Coming across a few of these. Very small run of cable as cu is in kitchen just below bathroom but should be 10mm cable. Did the old cable used to be slightly bigger than the new stuff?

Stratplus, why do you think it should be 10mm cable? In certain conditions, small run and correct reference method 6mm will be ok for a 8.5Kw shower.

And if its old cable, when the shower was installed it was probably something like 6.5kW ....... and has been upgraded since!

Worked it out to 10mm. Cable run is ok and distance but concerned about melted cable connector block.

When you say 'cable run is ok', what reference method is the cable run? Also how did you get to 10mm? 6mm clipped direct would give you 46A to play with and you need 37A (A big assumption of clipped direct though!).

If the reference method is ok then the melted connector cable block might be poor connections? Also what sort of connector block was used? What do you think the rating of the terminals are? Could be they were not suitable?

...Although playing devils advocate...correctly sized cable can generate heat when terminated poorly...just sayin...

new connector block in shower. re terminate if cable ends are OK. assuming ref. method is C. 6mm is perfectly adequate for the load.

Clearly because it needs a larger cable ...... Right ?

Well, the connector block melted cos the connector block got too warm, innit. Maybe it got warm by itself. Maybe something else made it warm. Maybe all the atoms in it just decided to have a bit of a disco and bounce around a lot to that ol' Brownian beat. It's difficult to know.

Reply to 8.5 kw shower on old red/blue 6mm in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Getting desperate to clear my small garage, and I have a bit of old red/black T&E. I used a few bits to add a socket or two in my flat and a...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm not an electrician, more one of those 'competent DIYers', so probably the worst kind :) My electric shower broke, the shower firm came...
Replies
Views
This from a while ago but reading about everyone elses problems tonight made me remember this one. The original job was the lights in a recent...
Replies
Views
Please advise what I should test / check next. My usual qualified electrician who did all of the work here is in Ireland for 4 weeks and not...
Replies
Views
Hi all, First post here, hope I'm compliant with the rules! I did do a quick search before asking this, but I couldn't quite come up with the...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock