Discuss 8.5Kw Shower Tripping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello, I've read a few similar threads online but none come up with an answer.

I recentally replaced a 7.2 Kw shower with a Triton 8.5 Kw shower. But trips the mcb after of running the shower for 20 minutes.
While installing the shower I replaced the 6mm with 10mm T&E, and the 50 amp pull cord Isolator.
The cable runs 50% conduit 50% open air. 9 meter cable run
MCB Wylex 45amp
The cable stay's cool while running but the mcb gets very hot
Clamp meter reads 35.1amps.
and checked for any loose connections

Hello, I've read a few similar threads online but none come up with an answer.

I recentally replaced a 7.2 Kw shower with a Triton 8.5 Kw shower. But trips the mcb after of running the shower for 20 minutes.
While installing the shower I replaced the 6mm with 10mm T&E, and the 50 amp pull cord Isolator.
The cable runs 50% conduit 50% open air. 9 meter cable run
MCB Wylex 45amp
The cable stay's cool while running but the mcb gets very hot
Clamp meter reads 35.1amps.
and checked for any loose connections

Put the circuit on the 6amp RCBO mate....................they don't trip till 24.9 minutes...........plenty time for a shower.

RCD....or did you feel it didn't need one?
MCB getting hot, bet you ****ed up the connection of terminal to the busbar.
Either way you have a problem, best call an electrician to test and fix it for you.

RCD....or did you feel it didn't need one?
MCB getting hot, bet you ****ed up the connection of terminal to the busbar.
Either way you have a problem, best call an electrician to test and fix it for you.
It's about time you stopped beating around the bush mate, for hell's sake will you just tell it like it is :)

Just a thought but wylex don't make 45 amp mcbs. They use to make the 45a plug in mcbs which replaced the old rewirable 3036 fuses

The old wylex boards I'm led to believe were not designed for these high loads

Just a thought but wylex don't make 45 amp mcbs. They use to make the 45a plug in mcbs which replaced the old rewirable 3036 fuses

The old wylex boards I'm led to believe were not designed for these high loads

Think about what you are saying here the old BS3036 boards had a 100amp main switch and busbar to match so why wouldn't fitting a retro-fit 60898 plug in mcb be compliant?

Sorry everybody, I get fed up of reading how diy bob or my best mates granny "is a confident diyer" or I've done a niceic part p course and now take money off the gullible by trading as a sparks... but when they cock it up or it doesn't do as they thought, they want free advice!!

Listen in people EMPLOY A QULIFIED and REGISTERED ELECTRICIAN who can do the job.

Can you tell I lost out on a rewire to a "bloke down the pub" on Friday.

Sorry everybody, I get fed up of reading how diy bob or my best mates granny "is a confident diyer" or I've done a niceic part p course and now take money off the gullible by trading as a sparks... but when they cock it up or it doesn't do as they thought, they want free advice!!

Listen in people EMPLOY A QULIFIED and REGISTERED ELECTRICIAN who can do the job.

Can you tell I lost out on a rewire to a "bloke down the pub" on Friday.

I don't mind loosing jobs to those because in a few months you'll get a call to put it right and the customer is often not impressed with a kitchen sink that tingles!

Think about what you are saying here the old BS3036 boards had a 100amp main switch and busbar to match so why wouldn't fitting a retro-fit 60898 plug in mcb be compliant?

Depends on the age but most of the old ones were fitted with 60amp and then later on they started fitting 100amp switches and I'm not sure where but I'm sure I've read somewhere in the past that the old wooden wylex boards were never designed to take bigger loads than 30 amp fuses.

Depends on the age but most of the old ones were fitted with 60amp and then later on they started fitting 100amp switches and I'm not sure where but I'm sure I've read somewhere in the past that the old wooden wylex boards were never designed to take bigger loads than 30 amp fuses.
i have also seen this somewhere and some of them had a separate way the other side of the main switch for a hrc fuse carrier

I see your point but look at it from another angle... do you seriously think Wylex would issue a retofit mcb that could put a overheating hazard on their old 3036 boards..... a recall would have been done over a decade ago if so...

Reply to 8.5Kw Shower Tripping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock